Define greed

This is a discussion on Define greed within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Fabulous answer trendie!...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 20, 2005, 1:33am   #8

Joined Mar 2005
Dispassionate started this thread Fabulous answer trendie!
Old Nov 20, 2005, 1:35am   #9

Joined Mar 2005
Dispassionate started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetipex
Trendie

Excellent post to which I agree 100%. However. It is fatally flawed as life doesn't work like that. There are those that choose 6 numbers at random and win the lottery that have not "earned" their winnings at all. I recall a convict out on parole recently that won and caused a national outrage. He neither earned nor deserved his rewards yet still achieved riches beyond the reach of most of us. There are many other examples of life "anomalies".

Many of us, unfortunately, will put in the required effort, study, blood, sweat and tears, and not reap our just rewards; whilst watching those that put in no effort whatsoever, (and sometimes resort to illegal means), and derive financial abundance.

It's called life.

How do you explain this?
Law of large numbers?
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:00am   #10
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Greed is simply wanting more than you need or deserve and is seen all around us all the time.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:08am   #11
Joined Dec 2003
Greed is where the irrational defeats the rational ..or 3 deserts which you prefer.

In fact have a look at the Times today..home section ..article on Spanish property..very good example of what I stated above ..."what market demand & supply factors they cried" .. LOL ..I'll save you the trouble of waiting for a similar article on Bulgaria & Turkey ...read it here right now ...oversupply means what for price ?

Last edited by chump; Nov 20, 2005 at 10:19am.
chump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:22am   #12

Joined Jan 2004
hi roguetrader,

yes, youre right ( I did write my explanation off the cuff )
re: unfit athlete. I think I was referring to someone who wants something, but is unwilling to put the effort in. An unfit person "dreaming" of something, and an unfit person resolving to become fit and healthy, and aspiring ( making the effort ) are two different things.
Whereas the first is greedy, the second is not, as the second makes the effort to fulfil a ( talent ) potential.
( hey, it was a Saturday )

re: Lottery tickets. There will always be "black swan events". Mind you, these events are as unjust as people being "born" into wealth and privilege, or children being born into poor countries.
But the last bits are off-topic.
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:16pm   #13

Joined Mar 2005
Dispassionate started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333
Greed is simply wanting more than you need or deserve and is seen all around us all the time.

Paul

..and how do you judge the "more than you need" and especially the "deserve" bit??
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:29pm   #14
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
I dont judge because that implies a finality but I do make an assessment based on a number of criteria at the time of determining whether any given action was caused by greed or otherwise.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote