Smart Quotes

This is a discussion on Smart Quotes within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; I wonder if any among this revered community of traders is able to assist please? I have just finished a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 22, 2005, 9:01pm   #1
Joined Jun 2003
Smart Quotes

I wonder if any among this revered community of traders is able to assist please?

I have just finished a novel with much direct speech which, through necessity, makes use of inverted commas (speech marks/quotation marks.)

Upon proof reading, I have discovered that I have within the text both 'smart quotes' and standard quotation marks and, of course, this is unsatisfactory. Therefore, can anyone who knows WORD better than me tell me please how I may change all inverted commas in the extensive text to the desired smart quotation format throughout without having to undertake the task manually?

Thank you.

Sean
Old Aug 22, 2005, 9:29pm   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Sean,

Do the following:

In Word click on Edit and select Replace

You will now get a two boxes that say "Find what" and another that says "Replace with"

In the Find box enter '

In the Replace with box enter "

Then select Replace All and that is it .

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:43pm   #3
Joined Jun 2003
seancass started this thread I knew I could rely on you, Paul.

Many thanks; problem solved.

There were over 8,000 instances of change which I would have undertaken manually!

Sean