Fructose and Obesity

This is a discussion on Fructose and Obesity within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Posits that obesity isnt just about "calories in / calories out", but explores that fructose, a carbohydrate, is no different ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:55pm   #1

Joined Jan 2004
Fructose and Obesity

Posits that obesity isnt just about "calories in / calories out", but explores that fructose, a carbohydrate, is no different to ethanol, also a carbohydrate, in the way the body metabolises it.
Ethanol is a toxin, and the speaker compares the toxic consequences of ethanol with obesity related medical consequences of high fructose.

Really good speaker. Quite interesting.

# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:21pm   #2
Joined Nov 2001
Re: Fructose and Obesity

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie View Post
Posits that obesity isnt just about "calories in / calories out", but explores that fructose, a carbohydrate, is no different to ethanol, also a carbohydrate, in the way the body metabolises it.
Ethanol is a toxin, and the speaker compares the toxic consequences of ethanol with obesity related medical consequences of high fructose.

Really good speaker. Quite interesting.

Wow! I must be getting old but I admit to making heavy weather of this lecture!

I have known for a very long time that it is wise to stay away from all bottled drinks and processed foods, as much as possible. I do like a can of beer every day, otherwise it's tea and water. In Spain we have Vichy Catalan, similar to Perrier, which is a harmless and refreshing drink in the hot months.

Processed food is more difficult but I have cut out bread, cakes etc and all breakfast cereals made by Kellogg and their competitors. Breakfast consists of 3-4 pieces of fruit chopped into a salad and covered with skimmed milk and ground linseed which I take for omega3 (I get joint pains, sometimes).

My weight is a fairly constant 78 kilos. I'd have to cut out the beer, I think, to reduce any more but I'm happy with that weight, although statistics show me a few kilos over for my age.

I'm 30 mins into the video--it will take a while!
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:45am   #3
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Re: Fructose and Obesity

Quote:
That is basis for zero carb diets such as Atkins
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote