What is the London Fix?

This is a discussion on What is the London Fix? within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; I heard people talk about fixing times. do they change markets? is there any significant about them regarding trading?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:54pm   #1

Joined Mar 2007
What is the London Fix?

I heard people talk about fixing times. do they change markets? is there any significant about them regarding trading?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:09pm   #2
Joined Nov 2001
I think it's to do with minerals. Tin, for example.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:16pm   #3

Joined Feb 2009
In what context? I am aware of some fixings that happen in rates world (IBORS) and the FX options world.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:22pm   #4

Joined Mar 2007
oiltanker started this thread i know there is a fix that affects fx [but not sure if it is directly an fx fix]. take today the reversal in euro happened at midday. i've seen it a few times.

there might be an advantage for the banks to get a fix at a specific price so they might want to move markets about at that time?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:24pm   #5
Joined Mar 2007
From what I know there's a morning and afternoon fixing but I don't think it affects the price that much - just brings it 'in line' for exchanges around the world. As it's done twice a day I doubt the discrepancy can ever be very large. Probably fractions/hardly noticeable except on very large volume (which if you held, you could probably fix the price! or at least contribute).

EDIT: i was referring to metals as well, not FX

Last edited by Neoripley; Jul 23, 2009 at 4:44pm.
Neoripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:30pm   #6
Joined Sep 2004
There are many fixings in FX. In Western timezones the most widely used ones are midday London (Frankfurt Fix), 13:15 London (ECB Fix) 16:00 London (WMR fix). Usage patterns vary by customer type. Imho fixes are a poor way to get chunky business done as the conflict of interest created between the client with the business to transact and the bank executing the transaction is Large. Huge even.

But many misinformed dealers still use them as a crutch to try and justify 'best execution' when all they really mean is benchmarked execution.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:31pm   #7

Joined Feb 2009
In the FX world, there's option expiries that have to happen at specific times of day (NY cut is 10AM NY time, I think). Might this be what you're referring to? In any case, GJ is the best person to ask about the wonderful world of FX.