why can i buy the renminbi (RMB or CNY)

This is a discussion on why can i buy the renminbi (RMB or CNY) within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; Hi, I am UK, but have exposure to cme and most other places. But for reasons unknown to me, I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:56pm   #1

2 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
why can i buy the renminbi (RMB or CNY)

Hi,

I am UK, but have exposure to cme and most other places. But for reasons unknown to me, I can see futures available in RMB$ but there is never an offer price so i can't buy. There is liquidity on CME for short dated Oct07..etc but nothing beyond.

Basically, I want to take a position in this with least hassle, but cant figure out how. Anyway have experience.

thanks
colincoolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:54pm   #2
Joined Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by colincoolcat View Post
Hi,

I am UK, but have exposure to cme and most other places. But for reasons unknown to me, I can see futures available in RMB$ but there is never an offer price so i can't buy. There is liquidity on CME for short dated Oct07..etc but nothing beyond.

Basically, I want to take a position in this with least hassle, but cant figure out how. Anyway have experience.

thanks
I can see prices via E-Quivalents out a fair bit further. The Dec 07 looks like the most liquid one (admittedly there isn't much there though). This is still really the demain of the OTC players.

Might be more useful for price discovery than anything.

Let me know how you get on - will be interested.

GJ
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:06pm   #3

2 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
colincoolcat started this thread Hi,

For whatever reason my 2 brokers are not even allowing the oct07 contracts for rmb. Basically, I am fed up with the USD and want to hedge and the simplest best way to do so is buy RMB, but it just seems impossible.

Having never done an OTC I guess this is the only option. To be honest, not sure even who I should call.

Does anyone know of an ETF of fund with exposure to RMB (rather than the stock market).
colincoolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:02am   #4

Joined Jul 2004
looks to be very little liquidity, open int for Nov07 is 4, 427 oint for Dec, nothing beyond that, ahh, apart from 1 in June08.

Dec 07 marked as closing 0.13490 - 0.13550 last night
A Dashing Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:49am   #5
Joined Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by colincoolcat View Post
Hi,

For whatever reason my 2 brokers are not even allowing the oct07 contracts for rmb. Basically, I am fed up with the USD and want to hedge and the simplest best way to do so is buy RMB, but it just seems impossible.

Having never done an OTC I guess this is the only option. To be honest, not sure even who I should call.

Does anyone know of an ETF of fund with exposure to RMB (rather than the stock market).
No idea who you should call - sorry. I trade in the wholesale markets and trade via NDFs if I need to trade the RMB. But the sources I have won't be much good to you.

Apologies

GJ
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:49pm   #6

1 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaJammer View Post
No idea who you should call - sorry. I trade in the wholesale markets and trade via NDFs if I need to trade the RMB. But the sources I have won't be much good to you.

Apologies

GJ
RMB denominated savings accounts can be set up through Everbank in the US (www.everbank.com). $10K USD equivalent minimum; little or no interest earned on account, but is a fairly easy way to hedge away from U$D.

Market Vectors RMB ETF and Wisdom Tree Chinese Currency ETF are also options.
slbailey32 is offline   Reply With Quote