How Often Does The Market Overreact?

This is a discussion on How Often Does The Market Overreact? within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; Perhaps confining this question to the most liquid FX market (EUR/USD) might be best, but if someone feels bold and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:47pm   #1
Joined Sep 2017
How Often Does The Market Overreact?

Perhaps confining this question to the most liquid FX market (EUR/USD) might be best, but if someone feels bold and confident enough, perhaps they can extend it to: EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY and USD/CHF

How often does the market overreact? Let's exclude "slight to moderate overreactions" so that we are only dealing with considerable to extreme overreaction.

I realise that this may not be easy to accurately define... perhaps rating your answer on a scale of Rare, Somewhat Rare, Somewhat Often, Often (please include the market/s you are referring to).

- Gavin
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Nowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:48pm   #2
FXX
Joined Oct 2017
All the time. The market is irrational and emotional.
FXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Oscar Reed
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:09pm   #3
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXX View Post
All the time. The market is irrational and emotional.
Stupid question really now when I think of it
I'm not exactly sure what it is I am trying to get at...leave it with me
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:10pm   #4
FXX
Joined Oct 2017
Best thing you can do when thinking how the market will react is to look at it as a person.
FXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:20pm   #5
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXX View Post
Best thing you can do when thinking how the market will react is to look at it as a person.
I have noticed people doing this but I wasn't really sure how to approach it...
I'm trying to be as careful as I can so as not to pick up maladaptive cognitions/behaviours but it's a minefield! And commonly results in me standing there, stumped
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:54pm   #6
Joined Feb 2002
It can't overreact and it can't be irrational. The market does what it does, it can only act - it is individual participants who can overreact and who can be irrational.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:18pm   #7

Joined Feb 2016
Maybe I will never find an answer to this question. But in truth, that's our purpose of trading - to understand the market.
Robbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:36pm   #8
Joined Feb 2002
Well, maybe not the ONLY purpose...........
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:57am   #9

7 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
there is no purpuse to trading other than to try to make money to get by in this pissy system we live in
DFM8 is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote