Former HSBC banker found guilty of fraud in the US

This is a discussion on Former HSBC banker found guilty of fraud in the US within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41728207 As a matter of interest, does anyone have an idea of how much a company converting $3.5Bn into Sterling ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:54am   #1
Joined Jul 2005
Former HSBC banker found guilty of fraud in the US

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41728207

As a matter of interest, does anyone have an idea of how much a company converting $3.5Bn into Sterling would be likely to move the market? Sounds like Cairn was trying to do it all in one go, which I would guess is a bit rash.
Arbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:04pm   #2
Joined Apr 2016
The interbank market is supposed to transact trillions a day. 3 billion is small potatoes. the 8m HSBC front running profit shows it. Only part of that is from price move. The rest are fees.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:26pm   #3
Joined Jul 2005
Arbu started this thread Clearly. The article says the 8m was from fees and front-running. But my question still stands.
Arbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:49pm   #4
Joined Apr 2016
3 billion in a 2000 billion market has minor impact. The small profit reflects that diminutive impact. Yes, the question stands, how many pence did the 3.5b move ? My guess is 3.56832 pence. Of course this is only a guess, a rough estimate.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:50pm   #5

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
Yes, the question stands, how many pence did the 3.5b move ? My guess is 3.56832 pence.
?????
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:52pm   #6
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
?????
Do you have a better guess ? Let's hear it.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:54pm   #7

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
Do you have a better guess ? Let's hear it.
no. just your answer was ...precise to 5 decimal points? how did you arrive at it i was wondering?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:57pm   #8
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
no. just your answer was ...precise to 5 decimal points? how did you arrive at it i was wondering?
I just like to be precise even on an estimate. Just a habit.