Career/job as FX technical analyst/chartist

This is a discussion on Career/job as FX technical analyst/chartist within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; Hi guys, Would appreciate some advice from you guys regarding a job as a technical analyst/chartist. I was previously from ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:34pm   #1
Joined Jul 2016
Career/job as FX technical analyst/chartist

Hi guys,

Would appreciate some advice from you guys regarding a job as a technical analyst/chartist.

I was previously from a prop firm but I left because I felt I could trade on my own albeit with a smaller amount of capital and less time required compared to day trading.

Do you guys have any inkling of an idea what's the career progression as a technical chartist/analyst?

The firm is a finance research house so they research a ton of markets and sell these info. firms i.e. banks/hedge funds/institutions/prop firms.
faat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:36pm   #2
Joined Dec 2016
I'm not sure how the regulations are in Singapore, but in the U.S. I don't believe you would be able to trade your own capital if you were actively employed at a financial research firm.
Unique Forex is offline Trading Strategy Services   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:05pm   #3
Joined Jul 2016
faat started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique Forex View Post
I'm not sure how the regulations are in Singapore, but in the U.S. I don't believe you would be able to trade your own capital if you were actively employed at a financial research firm.
Really strange things is that they do allow trading of our own capital. I did ask them and they had no issues as long as the firm itself did not have a trading desk because there would be a conflict of interest if they did.

What you said was the first question I asked them during the interview haha

Cheers!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:03pm   #4
Joined Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by faat View Post
Really strange things is that they do allow trading of our own capital. I did ask them and they had no issues as long as the firm itself did not have a trading desk because there would be a conflict of interest if they did.

What you said was the first question I asked them during the interview haha

Cheers!
Smart man! That is good... if they allow you to trade I think it could be a very good opportunity. You will have access to very good research which will help you with your own trading, however you will also have a secure income working in a field you enjoy.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 7:44pm   #5
Joined Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique Forex View Post
You will have access to very good research which will help you with your own trading...
That's not necessarily true. You have to be very careful in that kind of environment to know which information you can use and what will only muddle your own analysis. I had that problem when I was an analyst. I decided that it was best I not trade the market I was covering. Or if I did, it was in a very different time frame.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:27pm   #6
Joined Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody Trader View Post
That's not necessarily true. You have to be very careful in that kind of environment to know which information you can use and what will only muddle your own analysis. I had that problem when I was an analyst. I decided that it was best I not trade the market I was covering. Or if I did, it was in a very different time frame.
Ah... I can't say I can relate as I've never worked as an analyst, but I'll take your word for it.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:30am   #7
Joined Jul 2016
faat started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody Trader View Post
That did both come across my mind too. Thanks guys for the invaluable input!

I guess this is the closest job that doesn't resemble work apart from being a trader in an institution. (Prop shop isn't great because I eat what I kill and I don't get a basic + profit sharing so it's tough to get by)

Thanks again and cheers!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:51pm   #8

4 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Yeah , it is really strange
Lana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:40pm   #9

4 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Yeah it's really strange
Lana3 is offline   Reply With Quote