Guaranteed stop loss?

This is a discussion on Guaranteed stop loss? within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; Hi, I was wondering, are guaranteed stop losses only available on spread betting platforms? I'd read a lot about the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:46am   #1
Joined Mar 2016
Guaranteed stop loss?

Hi,

I was wondering, are guaranteed stop losses only available on spread betting platforms? I'd read a lot about the importance of stop-losses, but also that there is always a risk of slippage.

I'm not quite sure how a guaranteed stop loss could in practise be completely guaranteed, nor how expensive it is, but am foremost interested in knowing if conventional forex platforms offer this service (as I have seen it on some spread betting platforms, but not on exclusively forex trading ones).

any insights would be greatly appreciated!
rom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:55am   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom1 View Post
. . .I'm not quite sure how a guaranteed stop loss could in practise be completely guaranteed . . .
Hi rom1,
Welcome to T2W.

I'm pretty sure that the concept of guaranteed stop losses is an invention of the spread betting industry, used as a marketing tool to attract new business. It does what it says on the tin, and guarantees to close your trade at a predetermined loss - come what may. And yes, you pay a premium for the privilege, just as you would with an insurance policy which, in effect, is what this facility is. The SB firm can do this as they are a market maker, i.e. they set their own prices and take the other side of your trade.

Regarding forex brokers, I can't help I'm afraid as I don't trade currencies and have never had an account with a forex broker. That said, your question is very simple to answer. Find a broker you're interested in and look at their website. If they offer guaranteed stop losses - they'll be sure to shout about it from the rooftops. Failing that, contact them and ask 'em!
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:59am   #3

Joined Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom1 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering, are guaranteed stop losses only available on spread betting platforms? I'd read a lot about the importance of stop-losses, but also that there is always a risk of slippage.

I'm not quite sure how a guaranteed stop loss could in practise be completely guaranteed, nor how expensive it is, but am foremost interested in knowing if conventional forex platforms offer this service (as I have seen it on some spread betting platforms, but not on exclusively forex trading ones).

any insights would be greatly appreciated!
If they dont offer just go for negative balance protection and trade smallish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
reloading another "K" next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
you don't really have an orange juice position do you?
itspossible is offline   Reply With Quote