trading multiple currency pairs

This is a discussion on trading multiple currency pairs within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; My opinion is that it would be better to simply increase the lot size on one pair if you want ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:47pm   #1
 
aliasentric's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
trading multiple currency pairs

My opinion is that it would be better to simply increase the lot size on one pair if you want to increase profit. Since it would seem that if pairs are moving in the same direction or opposite, then trading them at the same time is increasing your risk, or limiting your profit on the trade that is a winner.

I've heard some trade multiple pairs as a sort of "hedging" method. At any rate, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is consistently profitable trading multiple pairs at the same time, and why you think it is better than just trading one pair at a time.
aliasentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Hakuna Matata
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:45pm   #2
 
Martinghoul's Avatar
Joined Feb 2009
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasentric View Post
My opinion is that it would be better to simply increase the lot size on one pair if you want to increase profit. Since it would seem that if pairs are moving in the same direction or opposite, then trading them at the same time is increasing your risk, or limiting your profit on the trade that is a winner.

I've heard some trade multiple pairs as a sort of "hedging" method. At any rate, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is consistently profitable trading multiple pairs at the same time, and why you think it is better than just trading one pair at a time.
I do it all the time... Your logic is somewhat flawed.
__________________
"Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness."
Martinghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Hakuna Matata
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:11pm   #3
Joined Oct 2012
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

yay! martinghoul is back!
Hakuna Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:52pm   #4
 
8 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

alisentric i'm no expert but here's what I do. I trade two portfolios, one systematically and one by discretion. By discretion, I mean its traded based on my global macro views thus I use many different pairs, from G10 to EM currencies. Anyhow, many of the pairs were correlated.

For instance last year, the risk-on/risk-off phenomenon was still strong - on risk on days you'll see all the risky currencies appreciating e.g. EM currencies, Eur etc. and vice-versa on risk averse days.
$oro$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:07am   #5
 
aliasentric's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

aliasentric started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinghoul View Post
I do it all the time... Your logic is somewhat flawed.
I do know that most currency pairs are correlated in some way with other pairs, either move in the same direction or opposite direction. Virtually every time I've traded in more than one pair at the same time, I noticed that the second pair either moved in the same direction, or opposite direction of my first pair.

I assume you are consistently profitable? Why do you choose to trade multiple pairs verses just one at a time? What advantage do you think that gives you?
aliasentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:10am   #6
 
aliasentric's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

aliasentric started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by $oro$ View Post
alisentric i'm no expert but here's what I do. I trade two portfolios, one systematically and one by discretion. By discretion, I mean its traded based on my global macro views thus I use many different pairs, from G10 to EM currencies. Anyhow, many of the pairs were correlated.

For instance last year, the risk-on/risk-off phenomenon was still strong - on risk on days you'll see all the risky currencies appreciating e.g. EM currencies, Eur etc. and vice-versa on risk averse days.
So, you are in multiple trades at the same time, then?
aliasentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:30am   #7
 
aliasentric's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

aliasentric started this thread Because I like to keep things simple, one pair at a time works for me. Since i don't have to worry about any correlation with other pairs. I do know it also depends on what time frame you are looking at as some time frames the correlation is stronger than in other time frames.

At any rate, trading is pretty complicated, and I try to simplify wherever I can, and trading one pair at a time works for me. But I'm curious as to what advantage some think they get by entering multiple trades at a time, aside from the adrenaline rush
aliasentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:53am   #8
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasentric View Post
Because I like to keep things simple, one pair at a time works for me. Since i don't have to worry about any correlation with other pairs. I do know it also depends on what time frame you are looking at as some time frames the correlation is stronger than in other time frames.

At any rate, trading is pretty complicated, and I try to simplify wherever I can, and trading one pair at a time works for me. But I'm curious as to what advantage some think they get by entering multiple trades at a time, aside from the adrenaline rush
OK lets just nip this in the bud.

You say "one pair at a time works for me"
One pair in forex eg eurjpy, this means you are trading two currencies Euro and Yen. How do you filter which pairs to trade at any one time? If you pick pairs at random or because they are your favorites etc etc , they might not be the correct pairings to trade at that time.So, you very much do have to worry about correlation.

Lets take 6 of the most popular currencies and pair them off giving 15 cross permutations and 2 directions (long/short) 15x2=30.

Now, I respectfully submit that you have a 1 in 30 chance of being on the correct pair and in the correct direction at any given moment in time. The chances of being successful over a decent sample size are nigh on zero. Hopefully you can now see why that is the case.
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:59am   #9
Joined Oct 2012
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

You have a pot of money in one currency, say USD.

You thing that other currencies are going appreciate more than USD.

You sell some USD and buy these currencies.

You think that other currencies are going to depreciate more than USD.

You borrow these currencies and swap them for USD.
Hakuna Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:18am   #10
 
aliasentric's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

aliasentric started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
OK lets just nip this in the bud.

You say "one pair at a time works for me"
One pair in forex eg eurjpy, this means you are trading two currencies Euro and Yen. How do you filter which pairs to trade at any one time? If you pick pairs at random or because they are your favorites etc etc , they might not be the correct pairings to trade at that time.So, you very much do have to worry about correlation.

Lets take 6 of the most popular currencies and pair them off giving 15 cross permutations and 2 directions (long/short) 15x2=30.

Now, I respectfully submit that you have a 1 in 30 chance of being on the correct pair and in the correct direction at any given moment in time. The chances of being successful over a decent sample size are nigh on zero. Hopefully you can now see why that is the case.
I agree with what you say, but don't see how it answers my question. I trade one pair at a time, so if I enter a trade in EUR/USD, I don't open another trade until I see this trade to fruition. I don't have to worry about correlation between pairs, if I trade only one pair at a time. Many people enter more than one trade at a time. I simply would like to know what advantage they think that gives them.
aliasentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:29am   #11
 
aliasentric's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

aliasentric started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuna Matata View Post
You have a pot of money in one currency, say USD.

You thing that other currencies are going appreciate more than USD.

You sell some USD and buy these currencies.

You think that other currencies are going to depreciate more than USD.

You borrow these currencies and swap them for USD.
Okay, I see the logic in this approach if you think USD will depreciate but you are not sure which currency would be the biggest winner, so you enter multiple trades. This approach would seem that it would rely on the news more than anything else. Not sure I'm comfortable putting that much trust in the hands of the media. But hey, if it is consistently profitable, then more power to you...
aliasentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:55am   #12
 
8 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasentric View Post
So, you are in multiple trades at the same time, then?
Yes, I am always 'invested' on the discretionary end. It really depends on the opportunities.. That said if you're trading systematically, doing so on different currency pair is one form of diversification
$oro$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:35am   #13
 
Martinghoul's Avatar
Joined Feb 2009
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasentric View Post
I do know that most currency pairs are correlated in some way with other pairs, either move in the same direction or opposite direction. Virtually every time I've traded in more than one pair at the same time, I noticed that the second pair either moved in the same direction, or opposite direction of my first pair.

I assume you are consistently profitable? Why do you choose to trade multiple pairs verses just one at a time? What advantage do you think that gives you?
Well, you see that is the key point... "Most currency pairs are correlated in some way with other pairs". What makes you say that? Over what time horizon have you observed this to be true? Have you considered the logical implications of such a statement?

If you think long and hard about these things, you will see the light, I am sure...

And as to being consistently profitable, I mustn't grumble... I also, like the others here, choose to have a portfolio of trades, which allows me to fine-tune my exposure, rather than bet on broad market moves.
__________________
"Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness."
Martinghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:26am   #14
 
ChattiFX's Avatar
Joined Jul 2010
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

I trade a basket of pairs but I am doing it more to capture a broader type of movement to prove out and adapt my strategy...

I've done no work on actually proving out whether this is a good (profitable) idea long term (as I said, at the moment this is purely for research/analysis purposes). I've basically used my own logic to come up with the basket... now I am quite open to admit that my logic is maybe completely flawed and I'm sure somebody will point this out if it is!!

I use all possible combinations of EUR, GBP, USD, JPY, AUD... which gives 10 pairs, my logic was that by using all possible combinations it gives the basket some balance, although maybe I'm wrong...??? Obviously there are times when pairs are fighting each other and kind of hedge/cancel each other out... and EUR & GBP are not ideal as against other pairs they do look to correlate, look at both currencies compared to USD & AUD over the last few weeks. Again I've done no long term analysis of this yet... sorry.

Saying that I have made twice as much on GBP/AUD than I have on EUR/AUD in June. My position size is based on ATR & Stop size so different price ranges shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Pretty much the bulk of my profit in June has come from JPY & AUD pairs with AUD/JPY giving me about 40% of my profit in itself.

I'm working my strategy towards breaking-even/small losses in a sideways market and as much profit in trending markets. So by using a basket my theory would be that days like yesterday I make good money on the two strongly trending currencies (AUD & JPY) against the other currencies. Today when they are both going against my defined trend I am stopped out of all trades involving AUD & JPY but making a little on GBP/USD which should cover my small losses for the day...

I hope all that makes sense, as I really haven't done enough research in to this yet to comment with the back up of facts, only my theory... which I'm sure will change when I get the time to do more analysis on it.

I'd also say it must have a lot to do with the time frame and strategy you are following... so what I am saying might (or might not) work for me but might have different results to others...

I was recommended some people to look up on the subject (by NVP) which I haven't done yet but intend to, so maybe have a look too.

"Steve hopgood , Dreamliner , Hanover and some of the other guys at FF"

Cheers,

CFX
ChattiFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:33am   #15
 
Martinghoul's Avatar
Joined Feb 2009
Re: trading multiple currency pairs

Indeed, there are all sorts of methodologies (of varying degree of sophistication) that allow you to formalize and quantify the approach described by CFX above. You can be reasonably rigorous about it, if you so desire (obviously, too much of that and you risk making the whole approach useless).
__________________
"Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness."
Martinghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forex Company with currency pairs pip value in your account currency candyguy Forex Brokers 0 May 25, 2010 5:47am
Trading similar currency pairs? SanMiguel First Steps 19 May 6, 2009 3:55pm
Evening FX trading, which currency pairs me1984 Forex 4 Apr 12, 2008 12:32am

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)