Why did price spike on my broker but not on the FTSE?

This is a discussion on Why did price spike on my broker but not on the FTSE? within the Forex Brokers forums, part of the Commercial category; Imagine you are trading £50 per point and got in at the perfect point end of wave 2 ... and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:49pm   #1
et.
Joined Mar 2012
Why did price spike on my broker but not on the FTSE?

Imagine you are trading £50 per point and got in at the perfect point end of wave 2 ... and then this happened.

Click the image to open in full size.

Fortunately I was trading only 50 pence per point. If I was trading serious money I would have been annoyed because the FTSE100 does not seem to have done the same move.

Was my analysis wrong or is one of these charts (Google and Yahoo data for FTSE 100) wrong?

Edit: I was shorting and my stop, somewhere above the high, was taken out by the spike that wasn't there on the actual? FTSE 100.

LT outlook: FTSE to preliminary 7500 with possibility of flash crash to 4500 first (last updated: 14/09/2012).

Last edited by et.; Sep 14, 2017 at 1:49pm.
et. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:06pm   #2
Joined Feb 2002
BoE interest rate announcement was at 12. FTSE down, £ up on the comments made re future rate rises.

I don't use wave analysis so I can't say your analysis on the FTSE100 was wrong. However, the index hasn't been a trend-following buy for many weeks.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:30pm   #3
et.
Joined Mar 2012
et. started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
BoE interest rate announcement was at 12. FTSE down, £ up on the comments made re future rate rises.

I don't use wave analysis so I can't say your analysis on the FTSE100 was wrong. However, the index hasn't been a trend-following buy for many weeks.
What I meant was, why is there a wild divergence in the data between the chart that I was using and the FTSE data displayed by Google and Yahoo?

On Google and Yahoo FTSE100 data there was no spike up to an extra high.

On this chart that I was using there was.

LT outlook: FTSE to preliminary 7500 with possibility of flash crash to 4500 first (last updated: 14/09/2012).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:33pm   #4
et.
Joined Mar 2012
et. started this thread
Quote:

Oh yes, I was shorting. Also notice the head and shoulders pattern.

Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:53pm   #5
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by et. View Post
What I meant was, why is there a wild divergence in the data between the chart that I was using and the FTSE data displayed by Google and Yahoo?

On Google and Yahoo FTSE100 data there was no spike up to an extra high.

On this chart that I was using there was.

Sorry. Yes,I don't see the spike on Google or Yahoo either but it is there on my SB firm's chart also. Top is about 8pts above earlier high.

The SB firm is quite likely to have pushed out their spread just at the time of this announcement. Normally the spread is 1pt. I assume their chart prints the mid-price between their bid and their offer so to take the mid to 7398.98, they would have had to widen the spread to over 15pts. Maybe they did. Maybe your broker did likewise?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:05pm   #6
et.
Joined Mar 2012
et. started this thread
Quote:
Sorry. Yes,I don't see the spike on Google or Yahoo either but it is there on my SB firm's chart also. Top is about 8pts above earlier high.
Maybe they get the data from the same company?

There is a note in the bottom right of the trading screen which says 'indicative prices' but you would think by that they would mean being out by 0.1 - 1 point, not 10 points.

Spike measures 14.8.

Quote:
The SB firm is quite likely to have pushed out their spread just at the time of this announcement. Normally the spread is 1pt. I assume their chart prints the mid-price between their bid and their offer so to take the mid to 7398.98, they would have had to widen the spread to over 15pts. Maybe they did. Maybe your broker did likewise?
What do you mean by the spread? The spread I entered in at was 1pt, and why would changing my spread make the price for everyone spike up?

Here's the 10 second data

Even have 1 second data

That's amazing. How can anyone have traded that, creating those gaps, wicks etc?

Last edited by et.; Sep 14, 2017 at 2:11pm.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:50pm   #7
Joined Feb 2002
I don't understand it though wish I could advise.

I don't trade intra-day so I don't have to understand and manage these sorts of risks.
But to be blunt, you do......
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:54pm   #8
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by et. View Post
How can anyone have traded that, creating those gaps, wicks etc?
Someone who understands shops and markets should be able to trade that fine. Now that you have more idea on how it works, maybe you will do better next time.

People seem to be too scared to mention it now, I'll do it for them. The shop is SFA regulated so they are legit. Everything they do are legit.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote