Why did price spike on my broker but not on the FTSE?

This is a discussion on Why did price spike on my broker but not on the FTSE? within the Forex Brokers forums, part of the Commercial category; it took some volume to take out your stop 1D https://www.barchart.com/futures/quo...eractive-chart...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:48pm   #17
Joined Jul 2004
it took some volume to take out your stop

1D

https://www.barchart.com/futures/quo...eractive-chart
kalott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:14pm   #18
et.
Joined Mar 2012
et. started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalott View Post
it took some volume to take out your stop

1D

https://www.barchart.com/futures/quo...eractive-chart
Thank you for this, it shows the spike.

And the link. Always wanted a volume chart.
__________________
The trend shines ahead a light which shows the wall, where it has to turn back. But the torch can be turned by a higher power before it gets to the wall and the light will shine on a different wall.

LT outlook: FTSE to preliminary 7500 with possibility of flash crash to 4500 first (last updated: 14/09/2012).
et. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:20pm   #19
et.
Joined Mar 2012
et. started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
SB shops are gambling establishments. They don't do futures. They offer bettings products that resemble futures.

Yahoo/google show the futures price traded on a securities exchange. If you want to trade the futures, go ask a bank. But they might call the police if you tell them to do 50p/point.
Okay thanks.

50 pence per point is the sane way to lose money learning to trade. It still hurts to lose so it's experience.

Getting better but right now constantly mistaking end of Elliot wave 3 for the reverse. The spike up there I now understand was wave 5.

BTW I consider tomorrow to be an up-day on the FTSE- assuming that I've not made that wave 5 mistake again....
__________________
The trend shines ahead a light which shows the wall, where it has to turn back. But the torch can be turned by a higher power before it gets to the wall and the light will shine on a different wall.

LT outlook: FTSE to preliminary 7500 with possibility of flash crash to 4500 first (last updated: 14/09/2012).
et. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:28pm   #20
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by et. View Post
Okay thanks.

50 pence per point is the sane way to lose money learning to trade. It still hurts to lose so it's experience.

Getting better but right now constantly mistaking end of Elliot wave 3 for the reverse. The spike up there I now understand was wave 5.

BTW I consider tomorrow to be an up-day on the FTSE- assuming that I've not made that wave 5 mistake again....
Please don't make the mistake of assuming that the ftse will go up tomorrow.
The big news today concerning gbp clearly shows that trading sentiment favours strengthening of gbp. This being the case, it is highly likely that the ftse will go sideways to lower but not higher. As long as the gbp gains in strength, then expect the ftse to do the opposite in the short term. Approx 10 times the ftse is testing support. If it does break, it will be to the downside, likely target 7,100
Attached Thumbnails
ftse-14-09-17.png  
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

Last edited by counter_violent; Sep 14, 2017 at 9:40pm.
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:08pm   #21
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by et. View Post
50 pence per point is the sane way to lose money learning to trade.
But this is not necessarily the best way. There's guy here who traded £5-£30/point. He learned pretty much instantly about trading. Now he doesn't even trade a penny. I used my best abilities on him to change his mind, but it was in vain.

Best lessons usually come with a premium price tag.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:31pm   #22
et.
Joined Mar 2012
et. started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
Please don't make the mistake of assuming that the ftse will go up tomorrow.
Actually, I shouldn't have said 'up day tomorrow' as I was thinking of a retracement to 7350 and after that it can potentially be down all day.

We might not get that retracement and it might just go down.

The trading strategy I'm following works better within days and can break down after close, and between days and is less accurate on the highest timeframe charts.

It's still pretty good between days but I would not hold any position overnight expecting it to go one way or the other.

This is, I believe, because high trading volume is needed for prediction because the high trading volume creates the 'purest' most predictable patterns that I try to read.

Overnight volume completely drops so anything can happen.


Quote:
The big news today concerning gbp clearly shows that trading sentiment favours strengthening of gbp. This being the case, it is highly likely that the ftse will go sideways to lower but not higher. As long as the gbp gains in strength, then expect the ftse to do the opposite in the short term. Approx 10 times the ftse is testing support. If it does break, it will be to the downside, likely target 7,100
Interesting. I have been expecting down move too but longer term still up until 7900.
__________________
The trend shines ahead a light which shows the wall, where it has to turn back. But the torch can be turned by a higher power before it gets to the wall and the light will shine on a different wall.

LT outlook: FTSE to preliminary 7500 with possibility of flash crash to 4500 first (last updated: 14/09/2012).
et. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:55pm   #23
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by et. View Post
Actually, I shouldn't have said 'up day tomorrow' as I was thinking of a retracement to 7350 and after that it can potentially be down all day.

We might not get that retracement and it might just go down.

The trading strategy I'm following works better within days and can break down after close, and between days and is less accurate on the highest timeframe charts.

It's still pretty good between days but I would not hold any position overnight expecting it to go one way or the other.

This is, I believe, because high trading volume is needed for prediction because the high trading volume creates the 'purest' most predictable patterns that I try to read.

Overnight volume completely drops so anything can happen.




Interesting. I have been expecting down move too but longer term still up until 7900.
So One day on we see continued strengthening of GBP and FTSE weakened in line with expectation.
Attached Thumbnails
one-day-.png  
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:10pm   #24
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by et. View Post
the FTSE100 does not seem to have done the same move..
i haven't looked into your discrepancy in detail but thought id add that have queried an incident of my own like this with my SB provider (only once a long time ago) and they agreed to put the trade back to how it would have been without the erroneous spike. im not saying yours would do the same but may be worth a try. they might have a reason like the widening spreads etc
Kaeso is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IG Spike on FTSE Hoggums Spread Betting & CFDs 8 Mar 23, 2014 3:50pm
Price Spike DGC General Trading Chat 3 Jan 17, 2012 4:00pm
ftse spike down xtf Spread Betting & CFDs 6 Sep 23, 2009 10:05pm
FTSE price-spike by GFT this AM JSB1 Spread Betting & CFDs 15 Sep 12, 2009 7:04pm
Fins FTSE spike tomorton Indices 3 Nov 10, 2008 6:39pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)