Binary betting - FTSE / Dow

This is a discussion on Binary betting - FTSE / Dow within the Fixed Odds & Binary Betting forums, part of the Markets category; Adrianallen99 and Bigbusiness I've never had any problems getting the price at which I want to sell. The only odd ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:07am   #22
Joined Nov 2003
Adrianallen99 and Bigbusiness

I've never had any problems getting the price at which I want to sell. The only odd problems I've had relate to when I try to place a bet that will have the effect of counter-balancing my other bets and leave the certainty of a small profit rather than the possibility of a large gain (or loss) - i.e. betting that the index will finish up <100 (or down). Suddenly, I'm told that my bet can't be accepted, because I don't have enough money in my account, when the screen shows that I have adequate funds to cover the bet. Perhaps it's a glitch - perhaps an indication that the programme is set to remind the punters that they're on a gambling site, where risk reduction isn't playing the game, unless they are doing it.

Good luck
RIWF
riwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:46pm   #23

Joined Oct 2003
Maybe it is my computer, the is no broadband where I live and internet dial-up connections can be slightly slower than somewhere less remote.

I have to admit it is causing a real problem.

I also tried to go long on the dow yesterday when it was at +55 pts. I just couldnt get the position filled, either errors or problems with my bet - had trouble getting through to dealing room. Price was at 71 before I got through so I didnt bother. Doh!!!
adrianallen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 5:03pm   #24

Joined Dec 2001
I have a fast connection and have had problems with them. Sometimes there are too many people using their online platform and it has slowed down and crashed in the past.
Bigbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 2:47pm   #25

Joined Oct 2001
Wideboy started this thread riwf:

have you had any joy, was expecting to see a post from you regarding your weeks work?

Wideboy
Old Nov 19, 2003, 2:57pm   #26

Joined Oct 2001
Wideboy started this thread I have been looking at the 'packages' offered by IG - i.e the range of bets where 1 of them will win and the rest will lose.
The FTSE 30 point ranges and Dow 50 point ranges look interesting as there is only 4 possible outcomes - a 1 in 4 chance.

This all sounds very much like gambling speak but this is really what it boils down too. Minimise risk whilst maintaining the opportunity for reward. The prices for these remain fairly low until near to expiry so plenty of opportunity for a nice entry.

Why not just trade Up or down then you may ask? 50/50 chance on that package. True, but then the entry price for these are normally around the 80 mark, far too risky in my book.

A choice of 4 bets, with good low prices seem a good 'bet' so to speak. A fair chance of a good payoff with not such a high risk.

Wideboy (the gambler )
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:03pm   #27
Joined Nov 2003
Wideboy.

Fairly good result last week - quadrupled my starting stake. Playing the markets - in any way - is a gamble, unless you know the outcome before you start, and no-one does. All I do is try to reduce the odds against losing. See adrianallen99's post: I would have placed the bet at 71 because the odds say there is a much better chance of winning at that price than at 55, and a win would have brought a return of 40%. If you are willing to accept small, steady returns, there is money to be made.

Good luck

Last edited by riwf; Nov 19, 2003 at 11:04pm.
riwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:06am   #28
Joined Sep 2003
Hello all..

I've dabbled a bit in binaries and read this thread with interest.
Obviously different strategies being employed by people.

Placing a bet in say the 70's gives you better chance of winning because the odds are greater. but the problem is the risk reward...i.e you lose the 70 points if it goes against you. Although you would close early in that case, I suppose to limit losses.

Other option is to play the long odds and bank on a reversal, i've done this a few times recently on the DOW, where it has hit resistance at the 9750 and 9900 areas. E.g has gone up on start of day strongly, then come down at the end of the day, so placing a bet of say buying the 0-20 up range when the Dow is up over 50 would give you fairly good odds with low risk. The problem with this approach is that the opportunites are not that frequent.

Potentially you could hedge a normal spreadbet position with binary bet...but I haven't really investigated this so don't know if its feasible to make a profit out of it....

Any thoughts from you guys ??

Ta..
jitasb is offline   Reply With Quote