Betfair Trading Strategies

This is a discussion on Betfair Trading Strategies within the Fixed Odds & Binary Betting forums, part of the Markets category; Hello everyone, I would like to know if I could find any like minded people who are interested in trading ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:02pm   #1
Joined Feb 2017
Betfair Trading Strategies

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if I could find any like minded people who are interested in trading bets on Betfair betting exchange? I've been a full-time trader on Betfair since 2006 and I'm curious if this forum does have any Betfair traders here.

My main interest was always in so called "Pre-race" horse racing trading. Especially British & Irish racing in the last 10 minutes before the start of the race.

I'm using a software directly connected to Betfair API and I'm mostly trading the price action. I take advantage of short term fluctuations in the market and my style could be definitely described as "scalping".

My typical trade does take 10-30 seconds - it's very quick.

The interesting part of my trading is that I have zero knowledge of horse racing. I just trade the price action I see in the DOM interface.

Anybody out there?
SportsTradingExposed is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:26pm   #2
Joined Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsTradingExposed View Post
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if I could find any like minded people who are interested in trading bets on Betfair betting exchange? I've been a full-time trader on Betfair since 2006 and I'm curious if this forum does have any Betfair traders here.

My main interest was always in so called "Pre-race" horse racing trading. Especially British & Irish racing in the last 10 minutes before the start of the race.

I'm using a software directly connected to Betfair API and I'm mostly trading the price action. I take advantage of short term fluctuations in the market and my style could be definitely described as "scalping".

My typical trade does take 10-30 seconds - it's very quick.

The interesting part of my trading is that I have zero knowledge of horse racing. I just trade the price action I see in the DOM interface.

Anybody out there?
I have been looking into this fixed odds betting recently and automating it, what interested me is putting bets on football for example, cover both sides of the bet, for example this can be done manually on the same game, place a small bet of say 10 gbp on one team (the 5-1 favourite) to win, however the the underdog say maybe at 10-1 to win and the stake you put down is 50 gbp.
so. if the fav wins you break even, however if the underdog wins you are quids in. also of course if it is a draw you get your stake back.
now, does your software do this?
any experience of other systems on betfair etc?
what about "bet bot pro"? (saw this one advertised
so basically the bets are only placed live if all conditions are met like 5-1 fav vs 10-1 non-fav, both at the same time or within a short time frame.

thanks

Last edited by saj1011; Mar 12, 2017 at 7:41pm.
saj1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:47am   #3
Joined Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj1011 View Post
what interested me is putting bets on football for example, cover both sides of the bet,
so. if the fav wins you break even, however if the underdog wins you are quids in. also of course if it is a draw you get your stake back.

thanks
So saj you are referring to Dutching all 3 outcomes! and that too where there is NO loss! how likely it can happen? COnsider these are 3 legs of a spread trade and I am referring to getting all 3 bets at same time NOT legging in! sounds to good to be true !
Have you actually managed to execute such bets? Can you please give a decimal odds example? By the way there are many bots like Bet angle and others mentioned on Betfair website

Here is another one I am trying to see if it can be borrowed from Horse racing "Laying" Bet to loose concept
May people try and see if they can lay 2 horse for a Lay liability of <2.0 each or 3 horses for a Lay odds of <3 each
lets say you get 2 horses lay bet matched at 1.5 each say $10 each
You could make $20/ if none wins
You could make $5 if one of them wins

So in say Financial trading can we find a "Race" where only one outcome is possible and one can "bet " like described above!
moka2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:55am   #4
Joined Mar 2008
Hi, I've been on Betfair on and off for several years most betting/trading on football. Been looking into scalping on horse racing recently (using Bet Angel) and purchased a course but still learning what it's all about.

Interested to see where this thread can go. Maybe we can share some ideas.
sofaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:41am   #5
Joined Feb 2017
SportsTradingExposed started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj1011 View Post
I have been looking into this fixed odds betting recently and automating it, what interested me is putting bets on football for example, cover both sides of the bet, for example this can be done manually on the same game, place a small bet of say 10 gbp on one team (the 5-1 favourite) to win, however the the underdog say maybe at 10-1 to win and the stake you put down is 50 gbp.
now, does your software do this?
any experience of other systems on betfair etc?
what about "bet bot pro"? (saw this one advertised
so basically the bets are only placed live if all conditions are met like 5-1 fav vs 10-1 non-fav, both at the same time or within a short time frame.

thanks
I'm using Geeks Toy for my trading and yes - it does this. It calculates all the stuff needed and you can nicely manage your position in the market.

My system for Betfair was always quite simple - to see where the crowd goes and make a profit on the moving price. I was never into trading football. I'm a horse racing trader - just have a look at the today's card and see how the prices move 10 minutes before the start of the race. That's where my interest is..
SportsTradingExposed is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:47am   #6
Joined Feb 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by moka2 View Post
So saj you are referring to Dutching all 3 outcomes! and that too where there is NO loss! how likely it can happen? COnsider these are 3 legs of a spread trade and I am referring to getting all 3 bets at same time NOT legging in! sounds to good to be true !
Have you actually managed to execute such bets? Can you please give a decimal odds example? By the way there are many bots like Bet angle and others mentioned on Betfair website

Here is another one I am trying to see if it can be borrowed from Horse racing "Laying" Bet to loose concept
May people try and see if they can lay 2 horse for a Lay liability of <2.0 each or 3 horses for a Lay odds of <3 each
lets say you get 2 horses lay bet matched at 1.5 each say $10 each
You could make $20/ if none wins
You could make $5 if one of them wins

So in say Financial trading can we find a "Race" where only one outcome is possible and one can "bet " like described above!
It's impossible to find an arbitrage on Betfair website because of their "Cross matching algorithm". Basically all arbitrage is taken by Betfair itself and they earn money on this.

There is a possible way to find an arbitrage between a bookie & Betfair. For example:
- there is a tennis match in-play and Bet365 has the price @2.50 for a player A.
- you find a price @2.30 on the same player on Befair.

What you can do is to place a bet with Bet365 and immediately lay the same player on Betfair. This makes you a guaranteed profit.

-------------

The other type of trading is what I do, for example:

I open a horse race 10 minutes before the start of the race. The odds are moving up and down which I'm using to Lay low & Back high on a single horse. This makes me a profit and it is basically an arbitrage - but executed in different times, not at the same time.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:54am   #7
Joined Feb 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
Hi, I've been on Betfair on and off for several years most betting/trading on football. Been looking into scalping on horse racing recently (using Bet Angel) and purchased a course but still learning what it's all about.

Interested to see where this thread can go. Maybe we can share some ideas.
Yes, let's see where we can go. I've been a full-time Betfair scalper since 2006 so I can give some advice
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:40am   #8
Joined Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsTradingExposed View Post
Yes, let's see where we can go. I've been a full-time Betfair scalper since 2006 so I can give some advice
hi, i made a bit of an oversight in my last post, the automated betting would work best on sports with high possibility of only 2 outcomes, win or lose (no draw)...

of course were the underdog's odds are 2-5 times ++ the odds of the favourite and the stake on the fav would cover the loss if the underdog lost...so darts, tennis, mma, boxing and maybe american football as very few draws in this.

I am no pro-gambler as you may gather, just trying to brainstorm an automated gambling strategy.

Thanks for input and any advice welcome.
saj1011 is offline   Reply With Quote