Naughty Punters at Betfair

This is a discussion on Naughty Punters at Betfair within the Fixed Odds & Binary Betting forums, part of the Markets category; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4528700.stm...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:34pm   #1
Joined Oct 2003
Naughty Punters at Betfair

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4528700.stm
Tuffty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:47pm   #2

Joined Jan 2004
It will be interesting to see the outcome, I wonder if it was the last minute bets or the fact that punters were collecting their winnings that alerted betfair my cynical mind is biased towards the latter
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:16pm   #3
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Betfair are very alert to this sort of thing. It is unlikley that the collection of the bets alerted them and far more likely that is was the continuous winning coupled with last minute betting that gave them away.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:56pm   #4
Joined Nov 2004
I don't think any rules have been broken

wink, wink nudge, nudge is common in horse racing

bookies use inside knowledge all the time.
trainers use inside knowledge all the time
jockys' arn't allowed to bet (but what about their wifes/girlfreinds/uncles/mates in australia etc etc).
samtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:22am   #5

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by samtron
I don't think any rules have been broken

wink, wink nudge, nudge is common in horse racing

bookies use inside knowledge all the time.
trainers use inside knowledge all the time
jockys' arn't allowed to bet (but what about their wifes/girlfreinds/uncles/mates in australia etc etc).
I think this is a bit diffrent,i followed the bets very closely on all the reality tv shows for more than a year and there was no doubt this sort of thing happens but i noticed it more on this year's i'm a celebrity when someone was taking any price on who's going to be voted out a few minutes before it happened,it wasn't done with subtelty at all,a bunch of amateurs imo.
leunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:33am   #6
Joined Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by leunt
I think this is a bit diffrent,i followed the bets very closely on all the reality tv shows for more than a year and there was no doubt this sort of thing happens but i noticed it more on this year's i'm a celebrity when someone was taking any price on who's going to be voted out a few minutes before it happened,it wasn't done with subtelty at all,a bunch of amateurs imo.
yes on reflection you are right, its not illegal but i would definitely say it was not at all ethical.
samtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:08am   #7
Joined Apr 2010
Re: Naughty Punters at Betfair

You like Betfair I presume
markmc27 is offline   Reply With Quote