Newbie mentorship

This is a discussion on Newbie mentorship within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi, I'm Ed and I'm from Denver, CO. I love trading but I suck at it. I would really like ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:55pm   #1

7 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Newbie mentorship

Hi,

I'm Ed and I'm from Denver, CO. I love trading but I suck at it. I would really like to find a mentor who can help me trade the S&P emini. I don't have $2k-$10k to spend for this mentorship. This seems to be the going rate for the mentors that I see online. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ed
vvsignin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:19am   #2
Joined Apr 2009
Re: Newbie mentorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvsignin View Post
Hi,

I'm Ed and I'm from Denver, CO. I love trading but I suck at it. I would really like to find a mentor who can help me trade the S&P emini. I don't have $2k-$10k to spend for this mentorship. This seems to be the going rate for the mentors that I see online. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ed
I have a suggestion. Start a thread in the Journals section. Your journal/thread must consist of a plan to trade the market. If you do not have a plan then simply make a plan based on what you know about the market and how you think it should be traded. If your plan is incorrect someone will tell you or criticize your plan which should guide you. Make sure you attach pics to your journal.

This is just a suggestion
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:50am   #3

8 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

Hi Ed, If you prefer 1-2-1 Mike's a good mentor and doesn't charge the earth http://www.tradetheeasyway.com/
CoolCat49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:53am   #4

Joined Mar 2010

Hey there,

I´d gladly spend 2k if someone could recommend a "mentor" who is not full of it !

Everything I have found seems to be bull, or have distinct smells of bull when any research is done.
LoveToTrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: elitejets
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:09am   #5

8 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTrade View Post
Hey there,

I´d gladly spend 2k if someone could recommend a "mentor" who is not full of it !

Everything I have found seems to be bull, or have distinct smells of bull when any research is done.
Hey Love to Trade - I can personally recommend my mentor and he may not even charge 2k! http://www.tradetheeasyway.com/
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:22am   #6

Joined Mar 2010

Yes, I saw that you had posted this earlier before my reply to vvsignin. Gonna look at it in further detail. I did scour through already and I am skeptical of anyone who says you can trade with just 10 minutes a day, but I better read it through first before making any more noise on this.

How long have you been with this guy yourself ?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:39am   #7
Joined Apr 2009

you don't need to pay anyone to learn how to trade
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:49am   #8

Joined Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCat49 View Post
Hi Ed, If you prefer 1-2-1 Mike's a good mentor and doesn't charge the earth http://www.tradetheeasyway.com/
Yeah....3 out of 5 of your posts are plugging that site. Maybe you're legit - but to everyone else, be careful before you go throwing money around....
Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:52am   #9

Joined Mar 2010

I sort of agree. And sort of don´t. While there is a lot of useful information out there there is also a lot of crap, and sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between the two. A lot of time can be wasted barking up the wrong tree and I think that it is difficult enough without all the disinformation out there.

While someone might possibly be able to learn to trade profitably and consistently without guidance, it would be nice to be guided through the process of learning (like a uni course or college) so that you know you are getting the right information.

I mean, how long would it take someone to learn how to become a car mechanic if they had to sieve through all the material on the internet to learn it professionally, how would you know what to learn, what not, what it right what is not ? And lets face it, trading is a profession, it is not a simple game of Monopoly.

I for one have been around a while and I know of and have visited hundreds of trading websites, few have taught me anything of worthy mention, but some have - AND yes, I have also spent a great deal of money on "Mentorship" and they have all been fruitless pretenders so far, this is why I do agree with you that it is possible to learn to trade for free, it is just a shame there are no proper professional mentorship guides which can be trusted, IMO.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:12pm   #10
Joined Nov 2008

The biggest issues you'll face are psychological, what will this mentor of yours teach; how to enter a trade, when to take profit? First bit simple (90% of my entries go into profit at some stage), second bit is potentially a lifetime of self learning.
Get stuck in, DYOR and use your 2K for trading, that could last you a year of 'micro trading learning'...after all, it'll be your plan you trade...
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:21pm   #11

Joined Mar 2010

While I agree with the Psychological aspects and the lifetime learning, I think it is unfair to say that a new trader should just throw their money at the market (whether microtrading or not) and learn that way - There´s going to be a lot of people with zero left of the 2k, after a very short space of time - A lot less than a year in most cases.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:25pm   #12
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTrade View Post
While I agree with the Psychological aspects and the lifetime learning, I think it is unfair to say that a new trader should just throw their money at the market (whether microtrading or not) and learn that way - There´s going to be a lot of people with zero left of the 2k, after a very short space of time - A lot less than a year in most cases.
I suggested 3 aspects to his initial journey; get stuck in, do your own research and trade the money rather than handing it over to a schill...tbh it's the DYOR *bit* that'll help the OP discover whether (or not) he has the intellectual curiosity and mental stamina to make trading work for him...all IMHO of course...
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:30pm   #13
Joined Apr 2009

LoveToTrade what is your trading plan? What is your entry setup and when do you exit, what market will you be trading and what time frame will you be entering on and why.

If you have been on many websites and have had your fair amount of fruitless pretenders you should have came up with a plan by now even if your plan is making you lose money.

EDIT: If you have one could you post it please?

Last edited by £80; Mar 1, 2010 at 12:40pm.
£80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:52pm   #14

7 Posts
Joined Feb 2010

vvsignin started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
I suggested 3 aspects to his initial journey; get stuck in, do your own research and trade the money rather than handing it over to a schill...tbh it's the DYOR *bit* that'll help the OP discover whether (or not) he has the intellectual curiosity and mental stamina to make trading work for him...all IMHO of course...
I agree that doing my own research is the best way, assuming that I know what to look for. I guess I'm looking for a push in the right direction. The last time I took a swing at trading I learned the hard way to NOT use my cash and hope things go my way. I'm using a paper trading account, which I'm sure is not the same thing as using real money.
vvsignin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:19pm   #15

8 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

YES I AM legit, Masquerade. Just trying to help, guys, as I wish someone had told me about him earlier.

Now, in reply to Ed, I did course 5 months ago with Mike with 4 weeks support afterwards including live trading which made a huge difference