Question about Dividends

This is a discussion on Question about Dividends within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi I start wondering about the dividends. Could any one give me a brake down how this works, where and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 11, 2009, 6:49pm   #1

6 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Question about Dividends

Hi
I start wondering about the dividends. Could any one give me a brake down how this works, where and how I can get some information.

Thanks in advance for any help.
dariusuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:36pm   #2
Joined Dec 2004
You're going to have to be a bit more specific. Otherwise the answer is going to end up being something like "Some companies pay regular dividends to their shareholders, some pay dividends sometimes, and others don't pay them at all."
Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:13pm   #3

6 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
dariusuk started this thread i know some don't pay tham at all. But i would like to know reliable source of information. And what kind account i have to use to buy a dividends.

Darius
dariusuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:25pm   #4

Joined Jun 2009
you cannot buy a dividend. if you hold a stock that pays the dividends, you'll get paid.

here a list a next coming dividens
Earnings.com: Event Calendar - Highlights

ex. buy today caterpillar and on jul 16 you'll get $0.42 per share
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:43pm   #5
Joined Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusuk View Post
i know some don't pay tham at all. But i would like to know reliable source of information. And what kind account i have to use to buy a dividends.

Darius
Any standard stock brokerage account will do. So will a company dividend reinvestment plan (DRIP). Buy the stock and so long as you own it you will receive any dividends paid.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:52pm   #6
Joined Nov 2006
I found this Shareworld - Dividend Timetable might help
raysor is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:32am   #7

Joined Aug 2008
Companies will declare dates called "ex-dividend dates". If you want to receive the dividend you have to purchase and be holding before the ex dividend date. So if Wally-world announces it's ex-div date is May 28th, you'd have to buy before May 28th to get the dividend. Simple.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:55am   #8
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngavl View Post
Companies will declare dates called "ex-dividend dates". If you want to receive the dividend you have to purchase and be holding before the ex dividend date. So if Wally-world announces it's ex-div date is May 28th, you'd have to buy before May 28th to get the dividend. Simple.
I think you will find it is the stock exchange that sets the Ex date.
Also, don't forget you can sell 'Special Cum dividend' after it goes Ex (but before it is paid). Presumably you can buy 'spec. cum' as well.
raysor is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote