Starting Out

This is a discussion on Starting Out within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hello, I'm an investment professional who has been made redundant and am considering becoming a self employed futures trader. My ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:35pm   #1

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Starting Out

Hello,

I'm an investment professional who has been made redundant and am considering becoming a self employed futures trader. My intention is to trade the FTSE 100 future on an intraday basis using a trend following strategy. I intend to trade up to 10 contracts a time with the aim of making 10 index points per contract daily. I'd be delighted to get opinions on the following:

- Which online trading platform/broker should I use? I require fast DMA with the lowest cost per round trip. I will need real time data and a platform that can display this in candlestick form as well as being able to construct all the popular technical indicators? I want a one-stop shop for all of this. I also want to be able to use the system to 'paper trade' to enable me to practice.

- What costs should I look out for (exchange fees etc)?

- I don't want to shoot the lights out and want to be as low risk as possible with the maximum probablility of achieving my 10 index points daily? Would anyone like to comment on the suitability of my trend following strategy as a means for achieving this or suggest a methodology they feel would better meet my aims?

Thank You
reess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 3:32pm   #2
Joined Dec 2002
Online Futures Trading - Open E Cry ™ a Direct Access Trading System

Try the demo account with these guys. Live data, order entry and charting all in one. The commissions a little higher than others but then you don't need to pay all of the other assoiciated costs.

As for your specific trading metholodgy, that's only something you can determine so get stuck in and good luck.
PualoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:32pm   #3

Joined Nov 2001
www.interactivebrokers.co.uk

They have a thread on T2W
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/brok...e-brokers.html
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:01pm   #4

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
reess started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
Thanks. Looks good.
reess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:36am   #5

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by reess View Post
I don't want to shoot the lights out and want to be as low risk as possible with the maximum probablility of achieving my 10 index points daily? Would anyone like to comment on the suitability of my trend following strategy as a means for achieving this or suggest a methodology they feel would better meet my aims?

Thank You
Really? How unusual! I thought everyone wants to trade high risk minimum reward strategies.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/psyc...chology-2.html

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:56am   #6

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
hi,

whats up market? How unusual! I thought everyone wants to trade high risk minimum reward strategies. yes, but I think every person should be some take risk. may be it will help or not but he will learn more there.
joduee is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote