what is d best form of trading 4 a newbie?

This is a discussion on what is d best form of trading 4 a newbie? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; I just wanna know people's opinions about the best form of trading that suits somebody just starting out. Personally i ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 29, 2003, 7:49pm   #1
Joined Apr 2003
what is d best form of trading 4 a newbie?

I just wanna know people's opinions about the best form of trading that suits somebody just starting out. Personally i have opted for spreadbetting cos of it's simplicity and lack of commisions to pay to brokers.
grubs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 9:13am   #2

Joined Mar 2003
Personally, I would have thought the chances of you making money in the first year or two, are pretty slim, so I would avoid spread betting - as spread bets have a wide spread to cover their costs and extra gaming revenue. And all that will happen is, you may end up losing money on what could have been a winning position due to the spread.
If you're going to trade indices use CFD's. If you're going to trade individual equities use a broker. Remember with the ammount of comm you pay.. you get what you pay for.
When and If you start to make money, and the capital gains tax becomes an issue- then look at SB.

Wayno
CityTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 9:21am   #3

Joined Dec 2002
Spreadbets are fine to start with.

Try looking at the thread about Eurostoxxe Futures that is a great index future to trade for newbies like myself.

If you use the free information provided on these boards I can't see why you can't make some money in the first year.

I am sure I read somewhere where it is stated that you can't trade CFD until you have at least a years experience in spreadbetting or shares.
Old May 30, 2003, 9:29am   #4
Joined May 2003
cfd's ?
and enough margin !

keep to spreadbetting
keep to the indices
keep it small
keep records

best of luck
Old May 30, 2003, 12:13pm   #5
Joined Apr 2003
grubs50 started this thread i don't understand why experienced traders believe a newcomer has to lose money in his/her first year. It doesn't always have to be true 4 everybody. I'm very sure that there are a lot of newbies who started making profits in their first year so it's good to be realistic but negativity will not help anybody's confidence.
grubs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 12:35pm   #6

Joined Dec 2002
You are right there grubs50.

I wish they had monthly futures for the Eurostoxxe50 like most of the other indices- otherwise I would be cleaning up.

I have never lost money on the Eurostoxxe but I have lost money on all the other indices.
Old May 30, 2003, 1:19pm   #7
del
Joined May 2003
rglenn,

As a novice the next question would be 'what method' do u use in trading the Eurostoxx?

I have opened a d4f spreadbetting account but am cautious of the potential pitfalls.

Regards,
Del.
del is offline   Reply With Quote