EPIC - Where do you find them PLEASE HELP ME

This is a discussion on EPIC - Where do you find them PLEASE HELP ME within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi Bodacious I personnal would use a spreadbetting company. My personal choice for UK Stocks is www.deal4free.com . JUST MAKE ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:04pm   #33

Joined Feb 2002
Hi Bodacious

I personnal would use a spreadbetting company. My personal choice for UK Stocks is www.deal4free.com. JUST MAKE SURE YOU START SMALL!!!!

I would agree with Catsdad on trading shares - indicies are tough.

If you can't watch the markets during the day, then you should be looking to hold for at least a week. This means holding overnight, so you will have to keep your bets small, otherwise you could lose everything in one morning.

HTH
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:06pm   #34
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Bodacious,

This really depends on what you want to trade. If you to want minimal costs and online execution you will find Interactive Brokers hard to beat. If you want to bet that a share or index will rise or fall and dont want to risk too much then, to start with, a spread betting company may be better as you can limit your risk to very low levels.

Do you have an idea of what you would like to achieve ? ie do this for a living or part time ?

Do you know how much money in total and per trade you are
prepared to risk ?

In answering this it will be easier to determine what type of account you will need.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 6:47pm   #35
TBS

Joined Dec 2001
Should you buy and sell in a day or simply keep your nerves and hold onto them for longer, so if that is a lame question but I think it counts towards the basic.

Depends whether you set yourself up as a day trader or a swing trader

May I suggest something like this:

http://www.trade2win.co.uk/events/event.php?id=105

Also - Epic Codes do vary in their full format, depending on what platform you are using.

EG

ARM is generally known by its epic of 'ARM' (funnily enough) although if you are using a reuters based program, then it is ARM.L - it is different again for Bloomberg etc.

The basic Epic (or ticker) remains the same, but some of the endings differ - another classic is BT

BT.L
BTA
BT.A

etc....
Old Apr 5, 2003, 9:53am   #36

Joined Apr 2003
Bodacious started this thread I thikn to start with I would have a minimum investment in the low hundreds, also it would be part time.

What exactly is spreadbetting then?
Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 9:54am   #37

Joined Apr 2003
Bodacious started this thread Swingtrading??? not sure on that either.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 10:24am   #38

Joined Feb 2002
Hi Bodacious

Have a look at http://www.spreadsbetting.co.uk/default.asp - This looks a pretty good guide.

If your starting your investments in the low hundreds then your only option really is spreadbetting. With such a low starting capital, you'll have to adjust your expectations to make a few points / pounds - No heroics

Firstly, make sure you can make money consistently on the T2W trading competition, before thinking about real money

HTH
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 10:54am   #39

Joined Apr 2003
Bodacious started this thread I'm having fun on that competition but I keep missing on selling when they are at a high!