I am looking to take some course

This is a discussion on I am looking to take some course within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Does anyone know some good trading courses? I believe most of them are just scams, but there may be a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 2, 2008, 3:02pm   #1
Joined Nov 2008
I am looking to take some course

Does anyone know some good trading courses? I believe most of them are just scams, but there may be a few good ones?
zehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:33pm   #2
Joined Apr 2006
Read and study the AHG thread on elitetrader. It's free and one of the best info I found on the web.
rverheyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:55pm   #3

Joined Jul 2007
I don't think it's so much that they are scams, but they are just teaching you what you can learn on Traderpedia above. I've seen DVD recordings of a couple of them and read reviews. It's largely tech analysis and they do the obligatory 20 minutes on discipline. You need to find a decent mentor who can cultivate your skills.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:02pm   #4

Joined Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rverheyen View Post
Read and study the AHG thread on elitetrader. It's free and one of the best info I found on the web.
Link, please?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:18pm   #5

2 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I am a newbie to this forum and to FOREX. One source I found very useful was babypips.com they have a free course that has a lot of good information for someone totally unfamiliar with the FOREX market.
whyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:59pm   #6
Joined Nov 2008
zehua started this thread OK. Thanks. Do you know anything about Dick Diamond's 4 day course? I saw that from elliotwave.com. Is there anyway to buy the DVDs? I think that should be cheaper than the live course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
I don't think it's so much that they are scams, but they are just teaching you what you can learn on Traderpedia above. I've seen DVD recordings of a couple of them and read reviews. It's largely tech analysis and they do the obligatory 20 minutes on discipline. You need to find a decent mentor who can cultivate your skills.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:08pm   #7
Joined Nov 2008
zehua started this thread Thanks! I did some google search and found that. It is really simple. I think I would try out with a demo account!

Quote:
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:24pm   #8
Joined Nov 2008
zehua started this thread I just read it and I think there is still some vague part.
To confirm a meaningful up trend, how many higher high/ lower low pair do we need to see?

Quote:
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:35pm   #9

Joined Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zehua View Post
I just read it and I think there is still some vague part.
To confirm a meaningful up trend, how many higher high/ lower low pair do we need to see?
Not sure about how it would work in this strategy, i haven't read the thread, but, if there is a good trend there it is very obvious to the eye without any indicators (i.e. chart moving gradually upwards/downwards). (by the way i think you mean 'higher high/higher low')?

You can also use moving averages to help you see the direction of the trend.

For some people's purposes i suppose a trend could mean just two bars, one higher than the other.

So, it all depends really. For me, i draw support and resistance lines. If the lines are sloping up its an uptrend, if they are sloping down its a downtrend. If they are horizontal it's congestion. But these are just my definitions and one must bear in mind that trends exist within trends within trends. Line up as many trends as you can in all time frames and you've got a good thing. But well, i'm getting a bit complicated now... i suppose just concentrate on identifying one trend first .

p.s. for anyone who wants it the thread is here: Forums - AHG - Profitable Strategy for Struggling Traders
UKtradergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:04pm   #10
Joined Nov 2008
zehua started this thread Thanks! Well, I think if you just see a few bars to say it is a trend, it may be just consolidation. I think life would be much easier if we could identify trends from consolidations. But how can we do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKtradergirl View Post
Not sure about how it would work in this strategy, i haven't read the thread, but, if there is a good trend there it is very obvious to the eye without any indicators (i.e. chart moving gradually upwards/downwards). (by the way i think you mean 'higher high/higher low')?

You can also use moving averages to help you see the direction of the trend.

For some people's purposes i suppose a trend could mean just two bars, one higher than the other.

So, it all depends really. For me, i draw support and resistance lines. If the lines are sloping up its an uptrend, if they are sloping down its a downtrend. If they are horizontal it's congestion. But these are just my definitions and one must bear in mind that trends exist within trends within trends. Line up as many trends as you can in all time frames and you've got a good thing. But well, i'm getting a bit complicated now... i suppose just concentrate on identifying one trend first .

p.s. for anyone who wants it the thread is here: Forums - AHG - Profitable Strategy for Struggling Traders