1 tick scalping strategies

This is a discussion on 1 tick scalping strategies within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; here's a real, workable strategy for you: in the FGBL future, or indeed, any future with a reasonably liquid back ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:33pm   #9

Joined Feb 2005
here's a real, workable strategy for you:

in the FGBL future, or indeed, any future with a reasonably liquid back month & calendar spread;

watch the range of the calendar spread, and try buying it at a below-average price, or selling it at an above-average price.When you get a fill, in the spread, leg out via the outrights. The calendar contract is fungible against the front and back month outrights.

Voila! you just scalped a tick!

Because your trade is in the spread, you're somewhat hedged against up/down directional movements in the outrights, and if you get legged up, you could (usually) get out for scratch or a tick or two loss.

You will find, however, its not as easy to execute as it is to describe, and that this description is an extremely simplistic one at best.

Interesting articles about proprietary trading, including whether you should pay a prop firm for training (don't).
Directional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:38pm   #10

Joined Feb 2007
Do you do this arb?

I thought it was impossible?

I thought it in fesx but it was too machined...
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:38pm   #11

Joined Aug 2005
Here is a strategy I have employed in the US 10 Year T-Note. Define a decent support/resistance area on the chart and wait for the market to confirm by hitting it and rejecting. This needs to be done in a time of relatively low activity e.g. I do it before the US open or around US lunchtime. So lets say you are trying to buy 11600. Wait for the market to trade up a tick and then bid 11600 wth a 1 tick automatic stop. As soon as you get filled hit the offer. If you watch the size carefully you can try and time it so that you get a good place in the queue on the offer so that if the bid gets hit, you can get out easier. Otherwise there might be a problem if not enough size transacts at your offer once you are in. Anyway, lets say you are doing this on a 1 lot. Well, once you have done this twice in a row and taken 2 ticks out of the market you can do it on a 2 lot with no more added risk than you initially took. The very next trade you can do it on a 4 lot. Then you can do it on an 8 lot and repeat. Sometimes price will trade in a 1 tick range for a while and if you have a directional bias you can establish your huge size and then let it go and hope you have called the market to the tick.

Increasing trader performance: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...rformance.html

Advice for getting a job in trading: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...b-trading.html

Last edited by trader_dante; Aug 24, 2008 at 7:44pm.
trader_dante is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:17pm   #12

Joined Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC STOXX View Post
Do you do this arb?

I thought it was impossible?

I thought it in fesx but it was too machined...
I dont do this. it was a slightly tongue in cheek response to the OP, who wanted a strategy for scalping 1 tick. This is a legitimate way to scalp a tick, however.

If you really want to scalp single ticks, doing it through the spreads is a somewhat less-risky way. Legging out however, is the tricky bit.

Interesting articles about proprietary trading, including whether you should pay a prop firm for training (don't).
Directional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:43am   #13

Joined Jan 2006
I'll see if I can find my 5 tick strategy, it's around somewhere. You can modify it by closing 4 ticks early.

CLICK - My Trading Journal
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:09am   #14
Joined Aug 2008
Trying to scalp for 1 tick is, indeed, a bad idea. Professional scalpers rarely, if ever, enter a trade with the intention of taking 1 tick. They are usually looking for anywhere from 3 to 8, depending on the volatility. They might take 1 tick if it looks like they're not going to get anymore but 1 tick is not the goal because you can't always get out for a 1 tick loss. You have to give the market a little room at times. So if you're taking 3 and 4 tick losers, you have to take 3 and 4 tick winners.
SFL Trader is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Bladerunner
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:49am   #15

3 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
hayag108 started this thread Thank you all for your feedback.

The question was put out there knowing full well the challenges. As expected, many people shared good insights.
hayag108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:56am   #16
Joined Dec 2003
Chances are people looking for 1 tick will get it most of the time. That' the good news.

The bad news though is that when wrong chances are they'll lose 5 or 10 ticks.

Conclusion - You better find a strategy that wins 95% of the time otherwise the account will go down in value. And the chances of finding a strategy that wors 95% of the time OVER TIME are almost 0%.

Good luck anyway
anley is offline   Reply With Quote