is there a US version of LIBOR?

This is a discussion on is there a US version of LIBOR? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; seems strange that the eurodollar interest rate contract at CME is based on Dollar Libor. Why don't they base it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:33pm   #1
Joined Mar 2008
is there a US version of LIBOR?

seems strange that the eurodollar interest rate contract at CME is based on Dollar Libor. Why don't they base it on American banks rate?

short sterling is based on the bank rate in its home country. why don't the US do the same?
brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:39pm   #2

Joined Jan 2007
Actually ICAP have recently introduced a competitor to LIBOR for the USD called NYFR for more or less the reasons you mentioned.

See http://www.icap.com/news/2008/icap-l...r-fixings.aspx
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:46pm   #3
Joined Sep 2004
Because London is the centre of the entire financial world, depite what the septics would have you believe
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:48pm   #4
Joined Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
Actually ICAP have recently introduced a competitor to LIBOR for the USD called NYFR for more or less the reasons you mentioned.

See http://www.icap.com/news/2008/icap-l...r-fixings.aspx
I thought they introduced it as an opportunistic thing in direct response to the investigation in to alleged manipulation of the BBA daily fix by the clearers trying to do a bit of smoke and mirrors around their funding costs......

You know different?

curious

GJ
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:50pm   #5

Joined Jan 2007
GJ, by now you should have twigged I don't know anything
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:53pm   #6
Joined Sep 2004
Hardly
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:17pm   #7
Joined Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by brut View Post
seems strange that the eurodollar interest rate contract at CME is based on Dollar Libor. Why don't they base it on American banks rate?

short sterling is based on the bank rate in its home country. why don't the US do the same?
Eurodollars are dollars on deposit (or for loan) outside the US. As such domestic US rates are not really appropriate - though obviously they influence. That's what LIBOR is all about. If you want to trade the US equivalent of short sterling then trade the T-Bill contract.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:53pm   #8
Joined Mar 2008
brut started this thread john, thanks. so t bill is the equivalent to short sterling.

am i correct in saying that the t-bill is a bond however? ie is the t-bill future an interest rate future or a bond future?
brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:28pm   #9
Joined Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by brut View Post
john, thanks. so t bill is the equivalent to short sterling.

am i correct in saying that the t-bill is a bond however? ie is the t-bill future an interest rate future or a bond future?
No. A T-Bill is a discount security and they have initial maturities of 1 year or less. The T-Notes are in the 2-10 year maturity ranges. T-Bonds are longer, generally 30 years at issuance.

T-Bill futures are futures on T-Bill prices, which are discounted based on their yields.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:22pm   #10

9 Posts
Joined May 2004
thanks john, sorry for more questions. am i right to say the t-notes and t-bonds are considered bonds, but not the t-bills? what category of securuty do t bills fall into?
Blangis is offline   Reply With Quote