purpose of using multiple monitors

This is a discussion on purpose of using multiple monitors within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by firewalker99 I'm going to get rid of my screen(*) and trade blind. An inverse proportional relationship means ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 19, 2008, 11:02am   #22

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker99 View Post
I'm going to get rid of my screen(*) and trade blind. An inverse proportional relationship means that zero screens will lead to unlimited profits

Nice try. The inverse of 0 is not infinity..

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker99 View Post

(*) fwiw, I don't have any multi-monitor setup, but it looked strange to see mr. marcus rep your post, given that somewhere in the past he posted his "control room" which consisted out of - what was it - 12 or 16 TFT's...
Will you please stop criticising the reps I get from people!!
You have no idea what was said.
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:10am   #23

Joined Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post

The inverse of 1, being 1/0, is an expression that may be undefined as a real number, but that doesn't change the fact that any limit that gives rise to this will diverge to infinity.

Quote:
Will you please stop criticising the reps I get from people!!
You have no idea what was said.
No need to get yourself wound up, I was curious about mr. marcus' screen setup, not about yours
firewalker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:28am   #24

Joined Jan 2007
It could also converge to minus infinity. You might want to think about that
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 12:31pm   #25
Joined Feb 2004
Quote:
Well actually it is: Lim_(x->0) 1/x = infinity. We don't really deal with infinity for our purposes, it would be absurd.
temptrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 12:38pm   #26

4 Posts
Joined May 2008
Thumbs up I'm agree with you

drhendra started this thread Dear Lee shepherd,

I do agree with your opinion. To me, having 2 screens for trading is very excellent! I monitor for our trading platform.. we can see our P/L with a glance and the other screen, our chart.
I think I would build a machine with 3 screen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Shepherd View Post
If your only looking at one graph you'd still be best advised to have two screens. One for the chart and the other so you can have your finger on the button for the platform without having to switch and type to save confusion, even the best traders can make mistakes by being distracted. I would also advise 2 towers(pc's) as these things can break down from time to time and always at an inconvenient time.

Having the correct setup is absolutely crucial from day one. So often I hear people say that I'll see how it goes and if I make money then I'll buy the correct stuff I need.

This would be similar to having cancer and saying, 'I'll try the cheapest doctor I can find and if the treatment starts to work then I'll pay for a top notch surgeon'.

Having the right setup prior to trading will allow you to have the best possible start. I can now hear people shouting at the screen saying 'but if I buy the equipment I need I wont have enough to trade with', if your one of these people then your not ready to start yet.

Get the knowledge, get the setup. Dont go half hearted on either of these.
drhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 12:44pm   #27

Joined Aug 2003
...i have more screens as i believed it created the "illusion" of knowing....this is one "wot" series prediction i got woefully wrong....oh the futility... more screens did not equal more love...should i have been focusing on rep points?...maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
officesetup.jpg  

Last edited by mr.marcus; May 19, 2008 at 1:18pm.
mr.marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: new_trader , Joules MM1
Old May 19, 2008, 1:49pm   #28

4 Posts
Joined May 2008
Cool Re: purpose of using multiple monitors

drhendra started this thread phew... your trading room seems like the trading floor of NYSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.marcus View Post
...i have more screens as i believed it created the "illusion" of knowing....this is one "wot" series prediction i got woefully wrong....oh the futility... more screens did not equal more love...should i have been focusing on rep points?...maybe.
drhendra is offline   Reply With Quote