Iím New To TRADING Ė Where Do I Start?

This is a discussion on Iím New To TRADING Ė Where Do I Start? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi All, I would like some advice on the following questions please: What security and instrument would you recommend for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:33am   #177

2 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Hi All,
I would like some advice on the following questions please:

What security and instrument would you recommend for a beginner?
How much money is required to start trading or investing as a beginner?
As a retail trader or investor are the gains enough to leave employment and concentrate on been a retail investing/trading as a career?

Thanks
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:07pm   #178
Joined Jul 2007
Your asking in my opinion and impossible question to answer. There are way too many variables and no one can give you an answer to this but simply point you in the right direction and give you some food for thought based on your lifestyle and circumstances:

> Security depends on what you are comfortable trading. Naturally I would advise against options so stick to stocks, indices or FX as they are simpler. Also shy away from commodities as they are impacted too much by seasonal factors and apart from the core metals and oil, can be thin to trade
> Money wise....well its more about ensuring you have the right risk and money management in place. Having £1k as a pot is very small and not adequate if you are trading 0.5 lots per trade in FX. However, it may suffice if you are trading 0.01 lots. Too difficult to answer this
> Gains enough to leave work? Again, if your initial pot is south of £50k, then you need to make conservatively (but again depends on your lifestyle and circumstances), 50% gain per annum whereas if you have a pot of £200k, then 15-20% per annum would be enough to get by on ...on a basic level of living

Your question is too broad and unanswerable easily but hopefully I have given you some brief direction. Sorry!
vnathwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:14pm   #179

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Good afternoon.
I'm a beginner commodity trader. Tell me please, where can I find information for analysis of tools? I want to trade sugar, cocoa, coffee, cotton.

Thanks
eremev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:10pm   #180
Joined Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eremev View Post
Good afternoon.
I'm a beginner commodity trader. Tell me please, where can I find information for analysis of tools? I want to trade sugar, cocoa, coffee, cotton.

Thanks
Don't know about those but if you wanted to trade orange juice and pork bellies then I would have suggested watching Trading Places
aag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:02pm   #181

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag100 View Post
Don't know about those but if you wanted to trade orange juice and pork bellies then I would have suggested watching Trading Places
What Trading Places can you advise?
eremev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:15pm   #182
Joined Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eremev View Post
What Trading Places can you advise?
Sorry that was my idea of a joke.
Open up a live chart of one commodity and watch that not for just hours or days or weeks but for months and even years and then think if you have learned anything from your observations to be able to place a trade.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:26pm   #183
Joined Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag100 View Post
Sorry that was my idea of a joke.
Open up a live chart of one commodity and watch that not for just hours or days or weeks but for months and even years and then think if you have learned anything from your observations to be able to place a trade.
And also do some paper trading.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:12pm   #184

1 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
New job

I recently applied to a stockbrocking company and after an extended interview process was successful in getting the job, which I was thrilled about. My only issue is that they require a training fee of over £1000 for the two week course that is part of their process. From this the company will then give me funds to invest. My worries are about such a large amount charged for training and no base salary, all commission. Is this standard for the stockbrocking sector?
Thanks
Tommo93 is offline   Reply With Quote