A question to successful spread betters

This is a discussion on A question to successful spread betters within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; I am just starting out and this is a question for successful traders. When I say "successful", I am not ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:13pm   #1

Joined Nov 2007
Talking A question to successful spread betters

I am just starting out and this is a question for successful traders. When I say "successful", I am not talking about how much money you make; I'm talking about people who win most of the time.

Having read some posts here, I understand that if you are too successful (win a lot of times), your account could be closed by a broker. It shouldn't happen but apparently it does. In some cases, broker's explanation for closing an account was that they didn't like a "particular style" of trading!? WTF???

I may lose, I probably lose some but like anyone in this game, I am intending to win a lot if I can. So what do you do to avoid your account from closed down?
Do you have a several accounts and trade from each account on a weekly rotation?

SB
SpreadBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:27pm   #2
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreadBunny View Post
I am just starting out and this is a question for successful traders. When I say "successful", I am not talking about how much money you make; I'm talking about people who win most of the time.

Having read some posts here, I understand that if you are too successful (win a lot of times), your account could be closed by a broker. It shouldn't happen but apparently it does. In some cases, broker's explanation for closing an account was that they didn't like a "particular style" of trading!? WTF???

I may lose, I probably lose some but like anyone in this game, I am intending to win a lot if I can. So what do you do to avoid your account from closed down?
Do you have a several accounts and trade from each account on a weekly rotation?

SB
My opinion on this is that you are, probably, worrying about something that hasn't happened to you, yet. If you listen too much to negative opinion, you'll end up doing nothing. There are three alternatives to financial trading/betting.

1. Don't do it.

2. If you can afford it, go to a broker.

3. If you don't have the capital to try a broker, try a spreadbetting firm.

I don't think that you will come to any serious damage if you try small stakes with a SB firm. If you get so good that you are asked to take your custom somewhere else, so be it- it's no big deal, is it?

But cross that bridge when you come to it. A lot of people do complain about trading filling times, etc. I'm not a good enough trader to be a menace to the financial security of one of these firms but I aspire to be and so should you!

Split
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: SpreadBunny
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:45pm   #3

Joined Aug 2005
Quote:
Avoid latency scalping or very short term trading.

And if you do so, do not ring up and complain about bad fills.

Increasing trader performance: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...rformance.html

Advice for getting a job in trading: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...b-trading.html
trader_dante is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:48pm   #4
Joined Apr 2003
Quote:

SB
Hi,

I'm not necessarily answering this as a 'successful' spread bettor, but I've just finished reading a book called "The Financial Spread Betting Handbook" by Malcolm Pryor, and I would point you in the direction of section 7. "Pricing and Hedging", and in particular the subsection entitled "Do they really want you to win?". The "they" referred to in this heading are the spread betting companies in general. It's a very interesting section and answered a lot of questions that I've had along similar lines over the past couple of years.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you with your trading.

Cheers,

Ian
Col_Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:53pm   #5
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Quote:
You can still win most of the time and end up with a net losing balance. It is all about reward to risk ratio against percentage of profitable trades.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 3:12pm   #6

Joined Jan 2006
Spread betting is not yet a mature market - but eventually it will be - which means the number of newcomers will dwindle rapidly. If spread betting firms continually close accounts of those that win then they are not operating a sustainable business model - which I'm sure they are all well aware of.

Having been a losing trader to a now successful trader I personally have not experienced any difference in the way I'm treated by my SB.

As trader_dante says - those that experience account closedowns and disputes are usually the ones that try to profit from comparing an SBs lagging quote with an up to date live feed and profitting from the difference. An SB will stamp down on this behaviour as there is no way for them to hedge against it - it is pure loss to them.

You first target is to be profitable - don't worry about the rest - you can move your money when you are finally making it - which will probably be longer than you think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend,
inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- G Marx.
Hoggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 3:35pm   #7
Joined Nov 2007
Hi, just wondering which sb firm you are intending to use as some are better than others...........

There are also some that are known for being rubbish - just search there name on this site and you will soon get the idea of sb firms that are not worth getting an account with.

Regards
omni is offline   Reply With Quote