Profit Factor

This is a discussion on Profit Factor within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; If a system has a profit factor of 4, does this mean that it increases the starting pot by 400% ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:58pm   #1

Joined Jun 2003
Profit Factor

If a system has a profit factor of 4, does this mean that it increases the starting pot by 400% ? Or is it not that straight-forward ?
rjay is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:08pm   #2
Joined Oct 2003
I calculate profit factor as the total of all winning trades divided by the total of all loosing trades.

I generally calculate this on a fixed position size. If position sizing is then applied to a system it may change the profit factor.

How much a pot increases will depend on how much you're starting with, you're position sizing calculation for each trade, and the profit factor.
Tuffty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:55pm   #3
TWI

Joined Jan 2004
Is generally gross profit/gross loss
it is better to look at an adjusted version of this that removes trades that fall outside 2 or 3 std deviations of the average profit or loss in order to stop large single trades scewing overall results.