I am just starting out need some advise

This is a discussion on I am just starting out need some advise within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; I have just started trading and i'm using a practise platform with FORTRADE. Are there any full time traders here ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:22pm   #1
Joined Jun 2018
I am just starting out need some advise

I have just started trading and i'm using a practise platform with FORTRADE. Are there any full time traders here or part time like myself.
FLETCHER53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:52pm   #2
Joined Feb 2002
I think we're all one or the other.

Entry signals are not the most important element in trading, but we have to start somewhere - what entry signals are you using?
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:05pm   #3
Joined Jun 2018
FLETCHER53 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
I think we're all one or the other.

Entry signals are not the most important element in trading, but we have to start somewhere - what entry signals are you using?
I am using the candlestick bars.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:55pm   #4
Joined Feb 2002
Candlesticks are probably the most popular chart design, and show ample information for trading decisions. They recurrently print in patterns that are named and recognised, mostly useful as either price continuation signals or price reversal signals.

Can you be a bit more specific?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:13pm   #5
Joined Feb 2017
Very difficult to answer this, however if just starting the best advise I can give is discipline, start with the WHY before HOW to trade. Ask yourself why I want to do this and create a plan around that.

Also take a step back before placing the trade and look at why you are doing this. Also trade only once a day with one set up that works well for you, this will make you look for the best trade rather than swinging for the fences every time and over trade which will blow up your account.

After a week or so you will start to see the set ups more clearly and then in the future as you feel more confident increase

Gary
gtspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:38pm   #6
Joined Jun 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspeed View Post
Very difficult to answer this, however if just starting the best advise I can give is discipline, start with the WHY before HOW to trade. Ask yourself why I want to do this and create a plan around that.

Also take a step back before placing the trade and look at why you are doing this. Also trade only once a day with one set up that works well for you, this will make you look for the best trade rather than swinging for the fences every time and over trade which will blow up your account.

After a week or so you will start to see the set ups more clearly and then in the future as you feel more confident increase
Cheers I have just gone live and won my first trade it may be only 71p but it's a start.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:28pm   #7
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLETCHER53 View Post
Cheers I have just gone live and won my first trade... 71p
get in lad!
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:18am   #8
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Cheers I have just gone live and won my first trade it may be only 71p but it's a start.
you are already more successful than 95% of all traders .....keep it up

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:02am   #9
Joined Jun 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
get in lad!
Cheers it a start hopefully things can only go one way.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:03am   #10
Joined Jun 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
you are already more successful than 95% of all traders .....keep it up

N
Thanks it's start.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:55pm   #11

3 Posts
Joined May 2018
Hi Fleetcher53..welcome aboard in T2W..If need an advice you has came on the right place here..
Gerry.Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:00am   #12
Joined Jun 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry.Rex View Post
Hi Fleetcher53..welcome aboard in T2W..If need an advice you has came on the right place here..
Thanks, how do I spot signals for a bullish or bearish trends as i keep on getting it wrong.
Old Yesterday, 9:21am   #13

1 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
I'd look for some professional to tutor me. You can learn on your own of course, but it will be slower and more expensive.
JsnSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11am   #14
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Thanks, how do I spot signals for a bullish or bearish trends as i keep on getting it wrong.

First you have to have a definition of the trend, secondly hopefully a way to gauge which of 5 or 6 trends available would be the best one for your strategy for you to get into, and the least important issue is thirdly the signal. What is important about the TA surrounding the entry signal is where it tells you to get out in the event of a losing trade.

Moving averages are handy for trend definition and assessment - its about all they are good for. If its a really strong trend (according to your strategy and trend assessment parameters, not just price momentum) many sorts of entry signals will do, though entering an uptrend at a high or a downtrend at a low would probably be a poor example to follow. A bad signal is a late one, so that probably cuts out MA crossovers.

Stop-loss level should be the earliest point where price now has a greater probability of going the wrong way rather than in the direction of your trade.
Old Yesterday, 10:22am   #15
Joined Jun 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
First you have to have a definition of the trend, secondly hopefully a way to gauge which of 5 or 6 trends available would be the best one for your strategy for you to get into, and the least important issue is thirdly the signal. What is important about the TA surrounding the entry signal is where it tells you to get out in the event of a losing trade.

Moving averages are handy for trend definition and assessment - its about all they are good for. If its a really strong trend (according to your strategy and trend assessment parameters, not just price momentum) many sorts of entry signals will do, though entering an uptrend at a high or a downtrend at a low would probably be a poor example to follow. A bad signal is a late one, so that probably cuts out MA crossovers.

Stop-loss level should be the earliest point where price now has a greater probability of going the wrong way rather than in the direction of your trade.
Thank you.