Potential mass exodus from Spreadbetters.

This is a discussion on Potential mass exodus from Spreadbetters. within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Has anyone been able to find an Aussie/NZ/Canadian broker who will a) accept accounts from UK-based customers and b) offer ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:52pm   #151

4 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Has anyone been able to find an Aussie/NZ/Canadian broker who will a) accept accounts from UK-based customers and b) offer spread bets (not just CFDs)?

I've contacted loads and so far have found none that match that criteria - either they insist I use their UK-based branch e.g. Pepperstone, or they do not offer spread bets e.g. IC Markets.

I really, really dislike ESMA
Thirty9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:22pm   #152
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty9 View Post
Has anyone been able to find an Aussie/NZ/Canadian broker who will a) accept accounts from UK-based customers and b) offer spread bets (not just CFDs)?

I've contacted loads and so far have found none that match that criteria - either they insist I use their UK-based branch e.g. Pepperstone, or they do not offer spread bets e.g. IC Markets.

Read the thread.
koteltrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:24pm   #153

4 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by koteltrader View Post
Read the thread.
Read every word of every page of this thread before I posted.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:22pm   #154

Joined Feb 2012
Quote:

Donít be to hasty to disregard CFDís. Do the maths and calculate whether or not you would be subject to CGT..you might find a level CFD playing field as opposed to kicking a ball up Everest with spread betting broker.... IC markets still offering 500/1 leverage.
mike. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:20am   #155

4 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Thanks Mike. My strategy is to continually buy small amounts and hold them for years, adding cash monthly to cover the downturns. At first glance, I think the daily interest of CFDs will cost me a lot. I also like not having the tax considerations (both not paying tax and not having to go through any extra pain on the self assessment!)

Last edited by Thirty9; Jun 5, 2018 at 12:23am. Reason: For clarity
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:09am   #156
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
Read every word of every page of this thread before I posted.
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...ml#post3027270

They don't offer SB accounts.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:40pm   #157
Joined Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike. View Post
Donít be to hasty to disregard CFDís. Do the maths and calculate whether or not you would be subject to CGT..you might find a level CFD playing field as opposed to kicking a ball up Everest with spread betting broker.... IC markets still offering 500/1 leverage.
Yep, had the heads up from IG earlier this week, that it all starts on 1st August for the instruments I trade.

I've just opened an account with IC Markets and plan on spending the next 8 weeks getting used to the platform so that it's all good come August.

Pretty gutted that it's come to this but hey ho, just one of those times to buckle up and adapt to the changes.

All the best to you all, hope this all doesn't affect you too much.
jm1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: mike.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:06pm   #158

1 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Hi everyone - I'm an academic researcher trying to understand the impact of leverage changes on spread betting. I've found some mixed commentary across the web and created a survey to evaluate a larger sample size of spread betting users.

I'd really appreciate it if y'all would take the survey - it shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 minutes. Here's the link - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XKBQ8PT

Thank you in advance!
DennisRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:59pm   #159

Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1054 View Post
Yep, had the heads up from IG earlier this week, that it all starts on 1st August for the instruments I trade.

I've just opened an account with IC Markets and plan on spending the next 8 weeks getting used to the platform so that it's all good come August.

Pretty gutted that it's come to this but hey ho, just one of those times to buckle up and adapt to the changes.

All the best to you all, hope this all doesn't affect you too much.

CTrader or MT4 platform. ?
mike. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:36pm   #160
Joined Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike. View Post
CTrader or MT4 platform. ?
I'm trying out CTrader for now...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:05am   #161
Joined Jun 2003
What about Switzerland? Dukascopy Bank in Switzerland say they are not applying ESMA rules, but their Dukascopy Europe subsidiary in Latvia will of course have to. Dukas offers forex, CFDs and binaries but no SBs (I guess SB is a purely UK thing because it depends on UK tax regs).
I can't imagine the EU will be very happy about a broker just over the border in Switzerland providing a way to get around the regulations...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 June 2018
DUKASCOPY BANK WILL KEEP LEVERAGE UP TO 1:200 & BINARIES
ESMA's recent restrictions imposed upon brokers of the European Union (EU) raised many questions.
Dukascopy Bank is regulated by the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority FINMA and applies the highest standards of transparency and integrity.
Since Dukascopy Bank is in Switzerland, which is not a member state of the EU, it will not apply ESMA restrictions (neither on leverage, nor on binary options or others). ESMA restrictions will concern only Dukascopy Bank's European subsidiary − Dukascopy Europe, which will be fully compliant with new European regulations.
For further information on this matter please read FAQ.

Last edited by Fintrader; Jun 8, 2018 at 9:07am. Reason: typo
Fintrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:08am   #162
Joined Aug 2017
I tried contacting Dukascopy to find out more about them. Chat session during European office hours left unanswered after 30 mins. Not the most promising start!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:01am   #163
Joined Aug 2017
Are any of our resident tax experts able to offer an opinion on the following...?

If using a CFD account with an Aussie broker but UK tax resident, is there no implication for Aussie taxes?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:01pm   #164
Joined Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by koteltrader View Post
Are any of our resident tax experts able to offer an opinion on the following...?

If using a CFD account with an Aussie broker but UK tax resident, is there no implication for Aussie taxes?
I'm not a tax expert but pretty sure UK residents using an Aussie broker like IC Markets would only pay taxes in UK.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:03pm   #165
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1054 View Post
I'm not a tax expert but pretty sure UK residents using an Aussie broker like IC Markets would only pay taxes in UK.
Thank you, sir.
Thanks! The following members like this post: jm1054