Hav Trading

This is a discussion on Hav Trading within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; I've decided to start this thread since I bagged a copy of the above system a few months ago and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:04am   #1
Joined Aug 2015
Hav Trading

I've decided to start this thread since I bagged a copy of the above system a few months ago and I wanted to see if it was any good.

It's been around for a while apparently and marketed to death by the usual suspects, so naturally I was a bit sceptical, especially since one or two of these suspects would sell their own grandmother for a few bucks

I finished some back-testing of this to the start for 2016 and so far I do think this has some legs to it. The results were good but back-testing is never easy and the best way to find out for sure is to to make some trades, either in a demo a/c or live, when the signals indicate that a trade is 'on'.

My manual is from Feb 2015 and the % target profit is 5%, although it talks about having a lower % if required. Stake depends upon size of bank, attitude to risk etc. The manual uses a 14% risk which is what I have used for testing purposes and in my demo a/c. Trades I've decided to take on in my live account, I've used 10% (the manual gives examples of 10%, 7.5% & 5% so you can use what risk you feel comfortable with)

The stake is calculated by dividing the maximum risk amount £ by 10% of the index price (it's always 10%) as in this example:

Bank, %Risk, Max risk, Index price, Stake,
£10k, 14, 1400, 11200, 1.25,

I have made a number of changes to the system:
1. I use a trailing stop loss to lock in profits as I have seen wild swings from profit to loss in a matter of weeks or less.

2. The manual says that unless both signal indicators change to opposite sides of the candlestick, you leave a trade open until it hits the stop or limit. I don't like this approach and would prefer to see a trade closed in either the current quarter or at the very latest, the following one.

3. There is another rule which I ignore and that's the one dealing with potential signals i.e. The candlestick is the wrong colour but events could change etc. Too much faffing about for me.

This is just me though, I've found most systems I've come across are utter rubbish and others are too rigid in their rules, but some have useful ideas.

Tomorrow I will post details of actual demo trades opened.

If anyone is or has used this system, it would be good to hear your thoughts on it

Regards
Becks

Last edited by Becks100; Oct 29, 2017 at 1:37am.
Becks100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:10am   #2
Joined Jan 2014
If you thought you were on to something, why would you post it, you should be busy working on it.....
Sonicscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:49am   #3
Joined Aug 2015
Becks100 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicscooter View Post
If you thought you were on to something, why would you post it, you should be busy working on it.....

It's called a forum and the idea if you don't understand is to share ideas with like-minded people who may be using the system or have done so in the past.

Clearly you're a know-it-all and it does beg the question as to why you are on this thread in the first place.

Too many weirdos about these days

Last edited by Becks100; Oct 29, 2017 at 1:56am.
Thanks! The following members like this post: Lee Shepherd , IceMan
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:28am   #4

Joined Mar 2004
You have a good attitude Becks and may the Gods look kindly upon your efforts.

Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:12pm   #5
Joined Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
You have a good attitude Becks and may the Gods look kindly upon your efforts.

Likewise and thank you for your invaluable contribution.
Have a nice day

Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:30pm   #6

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks100 View Post
I've decided to start this thread since I bagged a copy of the above system..
hi becks

im not familiar with this... is it a mechanical system? how are you backtesting it? (e.g. is it already coded..)

K
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:11pm   #7

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks100 View Post
I've decided to start this thread since I bagged a copy of the above system a few months ago and I wanted to see if it was any good.

It's been around for a while apparently and marketed to death by the usual suspects, so naturally I was a bit sceptical, especially since one or two of these suspects would sell their own grandmother for a few bucks

I finished some back-testing of this to the start for 2016 and so far I do think this has some legs to it. The results were good but back-testing is never easy and the best way to find out for sure is to to make some trades, either in a demo a/c or live, when the signals indicate that a trade is 'on'.

My manual is from Feb 2015 and the % target profit is 5%, although it talks about having a lower % if required. Stake depends upon size of bank, attitude to risk etc. The manual uses a 14% risk which is what I have used for testing purposes and in my demo a/c. Trades I've decided to take on in my live account, I've used 10% (the manual gives examples of 10%, 7.5% & 5% so you can use what risk you feel comfortable with)

The stake is calculated by dividing the maximum risk amount £ by 10% of the index price (it's always 10%) as in this example:

Bank, %Risk, Max risk, Index price, Stake,
£10k, 14, 1400, 11200, 1.25,

I have made a number of changes to the system:
1. I use a trailing stop loss to lock in profits as I have seen wild swings from profit to loss in a matter of weeks or less.

2. The manual says that unless both signal indicators change to opposite sides of the candlestick, you leave a trade open until it hits the stop or limit. I don't like this approach and would prefer to see a trade closed in either the current quarter or at the very latest, the following one.

3. There is another rule which I ignore and that's the one dealing with potential signals i.e. The candlestick is the wrong colour but events could change etc. Too much faffing about for me.

This is just me though, I've found most systems I've come across are utter rubbish and others are too rigid in their rules, but some have useful ideas.

Tomorrow I will post details of actual demo trades opened.

If anyone is or has used this system, it would be good to hear your thoughts on it

Regards
Becks
Can you please elaborate a bit, especially how you can make money with 5% target and 14% risk? So in a trade with 10k you are targeting to make 500 while risking 1400, this doesn't make any mathematical sense to me...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:24pm   #8
Joined Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
hi becks

im not familiar with this... is it a mechanical system? how are you backtesting it? (e.g. is it already coded..)

K
Yes it is and it involves checking the values of 2 indicators against the closing price at the end of each week.

Back testing, I was just running through the charts on a weekly basis, not easy and it took me a long time