Difference between amateurs and professionals

This is a discussion on Difference between amateurs and professionals within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe The weakness in my strategy was not being properly structured to do bidirectional trading. This will ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:43pm   #841
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
The weakness in my strategy was not being properly structured to do bidirectional trading. This will be the new improvement I will add to my trading.
hi joe, cheers for the update

is this another way of saying the you were short several major indices at the same and realized you were over exposed on the short side?

fancying some Hubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble?

damn i just realized i bumped Forooms thread to the top again!
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:39pm   #842
Joined Apr 2016
The merchants are having an early christmas rally. So took one more loss.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Thumbnails
brent.jpg  
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:52pm   #843
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
is this another way of saying the you were short several major indices at the same and realized you were over exposed on the short side?
I was going for a crash, but too early. Was too casual, it happens when the cash is easy. It doesn't matter, my strategy is now more complete.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:59pm   #844
 
cbrads's Avatar
Joined Mar 2014
How much did the yields offset the trading losses?
cbrads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:24pm   #845
Joined Apr 2016
The losses were offset by the wins. Yields are not necessary.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:47pm   #846
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
I was going for a crash, but too early. Was too casual, it happens when the cash is easy. It doesn't matter, my strategy is now more complete.
oh ok i thought you might be thinking about the long-short type of trading, especially as you like to trade with no stop. its not something i do currently but i thought the dow/nasdaq of @barjon was a cool idea. And its working well at the mo..
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:39pm   #847
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
oh ok i thought you might be thinking about the long-short type of trading, especially as you like to trade with no stop. its not something i do currently but i thought the dow/nasdaq of @barjon was a cool idea. And its working well at the mo..
There are no correlations in the markets. When they happen, they are entirely random and coincidental, just like the rest of TA. Didn't you see how quickly he exited ? 40 years of experience taught him the lack of correlation.

I am not thinking of long short. I am thinking of going in the other direct when it becomes clear they are attacking my original direction. This happened so much recently that I could do nothing but watch because my positions where not correctly structured, and I had no capacity nor the facility to go in the reverse direction.

It cost some money to identify a strategy weakness. Overall I am better off. I did ok with half a strategy. Now I have a full one.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:46pm   #848
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
There are no correlations in the markets. When they happen, they are entirely random and coincidental.
i didn't mention correlation but it is something which can be calculated from price data, markets have a various levels of correlation its not made up, you can work it out for yourself - like a moving average. Markets being correlated doesn't mean they are 100% correlated or will always have the same amount of correlation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
Didn't you see how quickly he exited ?
no i though he might be still in it

btw to me if you look at a chart you are using TA, i have a loose definition of it.. dont you look at charts?
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:11pm   #849
Joined Apr 2016
The barjon method you are going to use is about reverting to correlation. Although you didn't mention it, it's about correlation. He stated he was out for £60-odd, and what wood have been - foroom style. 40 years of experience taught him to be cautious. Maybe a few years more under your belt, you will be the same way. I don't believe TA works, therefore correlations don't. Sometimes they do, But overall they are big loosers if you add them all up. This is my general principle on TA.

My own definition of TA is what the shops tell you to focus on. I focus on things shops want you to avoid. Therefore, I don't use TA. Shops take their stuff directly out of the TA books, further proving I don't do TA. I look at what shops are doing and why they are doing it. So you might consider what I do as Shop-A.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:52pm   #850
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
The barjon method you are going to use is about reverting to correlation. Although you didn't mention it, it's about correlation. He stated he was out for £60-odd, and what wood have been - foroom style. 40 years of experience taught him to be cautious. Maybe a few years more under your belt, you will be the same way. I don't believe TA works, therefore correlations don't. Sometimes they do, But overall they are big loosers if you add them all up. This is my general principle on TA.

My own definition of TA is what the shops tell you to focus on. I focus on things shops want you to avoid. Therefore, I don't use TA. Shops take their stuff directly out of the TA books, further proving I don't do TA. I look at what shops are doing and why they are doing it. So you might consider what I do as Shop-A.
I'm not planning to do spreads no, i've dabbled in the past but I don't like the undefined risk for one. If a spread-trade stop was available then maybe.

Im not planning on being more cautious either! I need to be risking MORE as time goes by..

You look at shop charts then?
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:55pm   #851
 
DionysusToast's Avatar
Joined Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by foroom lluzers View Post
Professional trader:Good trading is boring , I have nothing to do all week except wait wait wait patiently , for the righ entry

Professionals understand trading phsychology

Amateur :Good trading is exciting: being scalped 3 times a day , then taking small profits and large losses getting scalped.Stress is good ,Let's say you're walking down a path and a tiger jumps out at you. Instantly, you perceive a threat and adrenaline is released. The tiger emotions is exciting , you fear ,get attacked by market , then I win .It is more like the exciting chase before the sex.

Amateurs are driven by their emotions , stress ,mistakes and ambitions , they don't understand trading psychology.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/psyc...sychology.html

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...at-mentor.html

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...ml#post2893944
Excellent post from someone that has never actually met a professional trader...
__________________
The proof of the pudding is whether there is actually any pudding in the first place.
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:24pm   #852
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
You look at shop charts then?
I look at how shops are painting the chart and what they say on news. Then I estimate what they are doing.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:36pm   #853
 
itspossible's Avatar
Joined Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
I look at how shops are painting the chart and what they say on news. Then I estimate what they are doing.
f0o0 ,ccc
777JK,POLPL[]'
]FFPFKRIOFNRIMDCMKMOWEDEP] EL,WE;##'DwDEDDWEDEDEDEDD
CURVE FITER-BLAH NO LIMITS BLAH
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
i'm lying for the attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
reloading another "K" next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
you don't really have an orange juice position do you?
itspossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:42pm   #854
Joined Apr 2016
Hovis is once more in play. Short wheat @4.151 x 1k units, no limits.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:53pm   #855
 
cbrads's Avatar
Joined Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Excellent post from someone that has never actually met a professional trader...
Alas, no longer a contributor to the site. I think the only professionals he met on a day to day basis were in the mental health arena
cbrads is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Professionals vs Amateurs barjon Psychology, Risk & Money Management 28 Mar 2, 2018 11:40am
Simple but effective short term trading setups for amateurs astraura First Steps 12 Aug 23, 2017 7:58pm
t2w - A site for amateurs run by amateurs PieterSteidelmayer The Foyer 56 Feb 8, 2014 7:04am
"The main difference between the Pros and the amateurs is expectations" Hotch General Trading Chat 51 Aug 9, 2011 10:41pm
CFD: why do amateurs shun it? pb Spread Betting & CFDs 23 Nov 8, 2006 4:19am

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)