Should a system work across all stocks?

This is a discussion on Should a system work across all stocks? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; I've been playing with metastock for a few months now - and - having a slight knack for programming - ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:43am   #1

3 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Should a system work across all stocks?

I've been playing with metastock for a few months now - and - having a slight knack for programming - haven't found it too difficult to come up with a handful of systems that appear to have some success.

I'm well aware of the pitfalls of backtesting, but: should a system that works well on a few stocks, be thrown out just because they don't work on all stocks and therefore would lose money if applied to the market as a whole?

If a system works on stocks A, B and C, but not very well on X, Y and Z be used to trade just A, B and C? or am I kidding myself?

any thoughts appreciated
Oscar74
oscar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:11am   #2
Joined Jun 2004
a good trading system will work on all financial instruments, not just stocks. The more a trader has to narrow down the number of markets he or she thinks the system applies to, the weaker the system
Pippppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:29am   #3
Joined Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippppin
a good trading system will work on all financial instruments, not just stocks. The more a trader has to narrow down the number of markets he or she thinks the system applies to, the weaker the system
Why should this be so ? I very much doubt it. For example why should currency futures trade the same as stock index futures ? In fact they do not.

A successfull system for trading stock index futures may use a number of inputs that are not even available in the forex market - eg DOM, things like VIX, TRIN, TICK, BID/ASK ratios, perhaps the behaviour of related options etc etc.

Last edited by dcraig1; Nov 20, 2006 at 8:34am.
dcraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:51am   #4

Joined Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar74
If a system works on stocks A, B and C, but not very well on X, Y and Z be used to trade just A, B and C? or am I kidding myself?
It depends what underlying behaviour and/or inter-stock or inter-market correlations the system has identified. Maybe A/B/C are seasonal, or influenced by a commodity price, or are tracked by long-only funds, or are disproportionately program traded, and X/Y/Z aren't. Or maybe they reacted to 'important' S/R in your testing period that X/Y/Z lacked. Or maybe you've just over-fitted your system to A/B/C. Whatever, if it works in backtesting and out-of-sample testing and, optionally, forward testing, then it works, regardless of what else it works on.
blackcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:00am   #5
Joined Dec 2003
If a system works on A but not on X can you identify, in generic terms, and without the benefit of hindsight which markets it works in and which it doesn't? If not, what is to stop A trading in the future like X did in the past?

I think it is best to assume that the system's future performance will be, at best, its average performance accross a broad selection of stocks rather than match the best ones.

Suppose you took 100 coins and tested them by tossing each 10 times. If one coin came up heads 8 times out of 10 in that test would you expect it to reproduce that performance in the future?

Good luck in your quest

Gareth
garethb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:52am   #6

Joined Mar 2004
yes, as long as the free float is larger enuf

pssonice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:59am   #7
Joined Jun 2004
dcraig1

currencies, stocks and commodities exhibit the same patterns of supply and demand. It has nothing to do with "inputs"
Pippppin is offline   Reply With Quote