Beginner: PC setup

This is a discussion on Beginner: PC setup within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Exactly, trading can be done using a normal PC however if anyone making huge bulk of profits then they may ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:26pm   #9
Joined Feb 2016
Exactly, trading can be done using a normal PC however if anyone making huge bulk of profits then they may switch to any of their dream brands.
progix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:10pm   #10
Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
Excellent advice for the serious high-tech PC user. But if the OP is just starting out on trading I'd suggest that he reserves all his brainpower (and money) for his trading apprenticeship. As somebody has already said, any entry-level PC or family cast off would be good enough while you're learning. Once your trading is making loads of dosh, buying a fancy PC – if you really need one – won't be a problem.
The OP describes himself as high powered employed.

Hence - "Suggestions toward a high powered budget."

The high powered employed are commonly high achievers.

High powered achievers have excess brain power.

High powered earners have excess cash power.

From the stand point of the high powered earner - high achiever your comment is false economy.

Besides the OP high powered earner - achiever the post is intended towards other high powered earners - high achievers.

The post has some redundancy built in.

Last edited by Phylo; Dec 16, 2016 at 2:16pm.
Phylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:20pm   #11

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylo View Post

From the stand point of the high powered earner - high achiever your comment is false economy.

Besides the OP high powered earner - achiever the post is intended towards other high powered earners - high achievers.

That's a point of view! But it's a mistake IMHO to assume that high achievers with excess brain power and excess cash will be successful traders. Perhaps we should go back to the OP in a couple of years time and ask what he thinks then?

As a further thought: I understand perfectly what you're saying and for the seasoned trader (or somebody who's got so much money he doesn't know what to do with it) your comments are, as I previously said, excellent. But as a successful trader myself I can say that my PC setup (as far as trading is concerned) is the least important component of my strategy. Okay – I'm not doing high-speed trading or anything very fancy with my now middle-aged Intel I-5 WIN10 PC, but it's only doing the same job as it was with Win 7 or XP. Whereas my PC doesn't really do anything more than it used to a few years ago, my trading expertise has been improving all the time and that's where trading success lies, in my book.

Last edited by sminicooper; Dec 16, 2016 at 2:43pm.
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:06pm   #12
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAOK View Post
Hi All,

I'm a newbie - first post. Currently in a high powered job but craving escape into a world of autonomous day trading. Have set myself a 3 year plan to learn, learn, learn and learn some more. I'm reading the books...but realising that they lack context without being able to track the market, watch the charts etc. So, I'm looking to buy a trading PC setup. Then, a dummy account.

Question: I'm an Apple Mac user but I assume PC windows is the way to go. Any tips on the gear I'll need and easy route into it?

Cheers!!

Paul
get a half decent new lappy for 2-300 quid ....then plug it into a 30"+ TV

thats minimum........next is buy another laptop and TV combo to run your trade entries seperate to your charts ....... then add more TV's ........as 2 is never enough once you want more charts

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:07pm   #13
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylo View Post

Hence - "Suggestions toward a high powered budget."

sorry - whats your point again ? .....i'm lost ..perhaps its becasue im not a high powered achiever ?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:08pm   #14
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by progix View Post
Exactly, trading can be done using a normal PC however if anyone making huge bulk of profits then they may switch to any of their dream brands.
whats a dream brand ? ........a cheap and cheerful Asus has always done me ..ive watched £10,000 Laptops burn out at times

N
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:10pm   #15
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
Excellent advice for the serious high-tech PC user. But if the OP is just starting out on trading I'd suggest that he reserves all his brainpower (and money) for his trading apprenticeship. As somebody has already said, any entry-level PC or family cast off would be good enough while you're learning. Once your trading is making loads of dosh, buying a fancy PC – if you really need one – won't be a problem.
agreed ..........when i was lucky enough to afford what i wanted i just told the bloke down the PC shop to sort it out for me ......leave me to focus on trading
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:50pm   #16
Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
sorry - whats your point again ? .....i'm lost ..perhaps its becasue im not a high powered achiever ?
My rule is not to waste time responding to commentary.

Today, a persistent and debilitating migraine and a broken rule.

The referenced post - as per rule - should not have been posted.

Your question, rhetorical or not, is thus ignored.
Phylo is offline   Reply With Quote