Getting a job as a currency trader without a degree.

This is a discussion on Getting a job as a currency trader without a degree. within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Can anybody advice on how to get a currency trading job without a degree?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:47pm   #1

5 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Getting a job as a currency trader without a degree.

Can anybody advice on how to get a currency trading job without a degree?
GameyCapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:33am   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Re: Getting a job as a currency trader without a degree.

Hi GC,
This FAQ contains background info' to give you any idea of what you're up against with some useful links in post #3: How Do I get a Job Trading?

Also, there are quite a few threads on this topic - so it might be worth your while doing a search. Start with the 'Similar Threads' at the foot of this page.

Best of luck!
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:04am   #3
Joined Jan 2011

My friend you certainly don't need a degree to become a trader. In fact many successful traders of times gone past have come from all walks of life at varying levels of education.

To be successful getting the correct mindset is the most important asset. No degree will help you in the markets as your mind plays games with itself. No amount of learning theory or technical analysis will help you either, the only thing that will is by learning first hand by getting your hands dirty in the markets.

My advice? Trade for yourself. Why trade for someone else? Learn the basics of technical analysis (babypips.com free school), read trading in the zone by mark douglas, get a solid price action strategy like the pipdaq setups and then practice, practice, practice. Forget a degree, pHD or any education - it will not help you with your goal.
datamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:22pm   #4

Joined Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameyCapital View Post
You don't need a job if you are really good at trading.

Also career in a forex market is a not so easy one with uncertainties.
robertofx is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:08pm   #5

Joined Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofx View Post
You don't need a job if you are really good at trading.

Also career in a forex market is a not so easy one with uncertainties.
You say you don't need a job. Where do you get your starting capital then? How do you support yourself through the learning process?

I agree, eventually you shouldn't need a job, but maybe working for someone else whilst you learn the ropes isn't such a bad idea.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:22pm   #6

4 Posts
Joined Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameyCapital View Post

Hi GameyCapital,

If you're good at what you do, i.e you've taught yourself how to trade which means you have a good overall grasp of the business), and you can convey that to a prospective employer, then I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a job in the industry. Trust me, it all looks far scarier from the outside than the inside and all you need is a simple foot in the door.

I've been employed in several different areas and I'll tell you matter of fact: traders know more about the markets than all the various industry hangers-on, be they reporters, sales-people, managers etc. As long as you can prove you know your stuff, you'll be a shoe-in for any job you go for.

And besides it takes more years to teach yourself how to trade properly than it does to get a degree.
Force the Resistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:35pm   #7
Joined Dec 2002

If you mean getting a job in bank on a flow/prop desk then I'd say that your chances are 0% without a degree. Having a degree from a decent university is the bare minimum you need just to apply, to actually get a job you'll need a lot more. It's a sad fact but the competition for these roles is fierce and they have to whittle down deluge of applicants somehow.
PualoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: A Dashing Blade
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:04am   #8

5 Posts
Joined Jul 2013

GameyCapital started this thread Thanks Tim.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:16am   #9

5 Posts
Joined Jul 2013

GameyCapital started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi GC,
This FAQ contains background info' to give you any idea of what you're up against with some useful links in post #3: How Do I get a Job Trading?

Also, there are quite a few threads on this topic - so it might be worth your while doing a search. Start with the 'Similar Threads' at the foot of this page.

Best of luck!
Tim.
Thanks Tim I really do appreciate it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:54am   #10

6 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Well, get a Job? What do you mean? If just trading forex for your own, it is one thing. But if are trying to become a professional trader for financial institution, sorry, but I wouldn't hire a person with no education, even if you show me Forex account with 1000% of the yearly income. The risks are higher there and the basics do not work anymore.
Liam M. is offline   Reply With Quote