Options

This is a discussion on Options within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; My apologies team - couple too many largers apres work. Should not have posted! However, my waffling point was summed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:01am   #9
Joined Aug 2012
Re: Options

justtellingitasitis started this thread My apologies team - couple too many largers apres work. Should not have posted! However, my waffling point was summed up admirably by scose-no-doubt.

It wasn't intended to be arrogant, it was intended to be helpful. In that I failed badly!

As it happens, I now feel like absolute death, and have done for the last five and a half hours, and I'll continue to feel like that for the rest of the day. It's my penance for posting when drunk.

I'll go an sit in the idiot corner for a bit and have a think about what I've done
justtellingitasitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:11am   #10
Joined Apr 2010

This site becomes a whole new experience when one is totalled...enjoy it.
kimo'sabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Big Stones , the hare
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:16am   #11

Joined Apr 2010

No need for apologies, your post wasn't really arrogant it just wasn't helpful either lol. Stick around and keep doing it. You'll either strike gold or provide lulz. C'est win/win.

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:28pm   #12

Joined Feb 2009

I don't see anything wrong with your post. I think the main point relates further than options, which is that you shouldn't trade something you don't understand, in particular, don't trade if you don't understand the risks.

I can't tell if you're encouraging options trading or not. You mention independent traders and how hard it is to be successful. Isn't this even more so with options? I'm not talking about theoretically, I understand all that. But I don't have a team of quants backing me up on complex products. And simple products like plain calls and puts are largely equivalent to just normal directional trades (obviously there are some differences in terms of large sharp moves and gaps).

What is the advantage of a retail trader using options? Because it could assist with risk control? The leverage? The fact you don't have stops? In your view what is the big advantage (if indeed you are encouraging options)?
Shakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:44pm   #13

Joined Apr 2010

Agreed. I don't see how options are different from anything else other than in the exposure they offer. Everything has a pricing mechanism and when you trade you take a view on an aspect or aspects of that mechanism.
Delta, gamma, rho, liquidity, future income streams, implied growth, theta, volatility, what's the difference? You trade it or you don't... you just better know wtf you're trading or what are you doing in the market for it? It's not rocket science in principle but the action on t2w largely involves, metaphorically, looking for a house at auction and bidding on a lot number cos they've been told to by an estate agent (TA) or slinging the card up for a barge (clueless).

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!

Last edited by scose-no-doubt; Aug 17, 2012 at 1:49pm.
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:35pm   #14

Joined Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtellingitasitis View Post

And this guy now earns probably £75-100k basic, bonus I would have no idea.
And Wayne Rooney earns that in just 3 days.......

Really is quite alarming when you think about it.....
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:42pm   #15

Joined Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungerns View Post
And Wayne Rooney earns that in just 3 days.......

Really is quite alarming when you think about it.....
Yet, he's quitting his current job someday...what will he end up doing then?
marameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:15pm   #16
Joined Jul 2012

Wayne Rooney street striker will return. That or he'll take up Binary Option 'trading' like all the other retired footballers.
forexanalyst is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote