Where do I start?

This is a discussion on Where do I start? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Bint_Crusher Tim- If you can show me where the above advice is principally sound then I promise ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:52pm   #29
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Re: Where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bint_Crusher View Post
Tim-
If you can show me where the above advice is principally sound then I promise to buy you a beer at the next social event. . .
Hi B_C,
Sorry if I'm being slow on the uptake here, but I'm afraid I don't see any connection between your post and mine - which specifically relates to points made by 'the hare' in his last post. If the "above advice" that you refer to can be found in any official T2W output - please see the 1st para of my last post. If it can be found anywhere else - please see the 2nd para of my last post. Between them, I think they cover pretty much cover everything!
Cheers,
Tim.
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:01pm   #30

Joined May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnev View Post
I'll never agree with anything you have to write or say as you are foul.
Another one bites the dust. Your miserable loss, not mine.:c ool::h eart:
Bint_Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:14am   #31
Joined Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwqwhf13 View Post
Hi all,

I am really new to trading and have zero knowledge about it. I just want to hear from someone who had started from nothing but gradually built up a portfolio. What's the first step, what books should I read, what techniques should I learn?

Thanks in advance

Frank
Hi frank,

Nice to meet you. People here are nice so, don't hesitate to leave a message here if you have any questions. Hope to hear from you soon..

Happy Trading.
CortneyWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:34pm   #32

Joined May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortneyWilliams View Post
Hi frank,

Nice to meet you. People here are nice so, don't hesitate to leave a message here if you have any questions. Hope to hear from you soon..

Happy Trading.
Not sure if I agree with you cortney, I think a lot of people on here are a bit nasty, certainly they are so to me.
For frank, LEARN TO TRADE, Learn what really moves the markets, as far as books go check "The wealth of nations" Adam Smith; "Trading in the zone" Martin Douglas; then BE REALISTIC. If you start with £1000, do you really imagine that you can get say a 200% return on that in any year?
Watch this series on youtube: This will show you how to act and how not to react.
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=68cciZYNqn0
Consider what assets you want to trade bearing in mind that any leveraged product carries the greatest risk. Whatever you do don't treat trading as a fun easy game, treat it as a business.
If you can come back to me with the answer to the first Question "What really moves the maarkets"? Then whats more you'll be a MAN my son.:sma rt:
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:35am   #33
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwqwhf13 View Post
Hi all,

I am really new to trading and have zero knowledge about it. I just want to hear from someone who had started from nothing but gradually built up a portfolio. What's the first step, what books should I read, what techniques should I learn?

Thanks in advance

Frank
Demo trade daily, see what works for others and try it for yourself. Trade one clearly written strategy on one security.

Design your own strategy because it's a personal thing, we can't trade other people's strategies.

If you enjoy it, continue.
The hard part is rewiring your brain, Mark Douglas, Van Tharp, Brett Steenbarger are good authors on psychology.
jpadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:15am   #34

Joined May 2009

Consider your answer to my last post Frank, but time will not run out if you haven't worked it out yet.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:15am   #35

5 Posts
Joined May 2008

Get an account at a reputable broker like IB or Optionsxpress which is what I use. Start with ten grand and trade futures. Start by following the ES, TF and NQ. Start with one contract at a time. Learn all you can about supply and demand levels and mark them on your charts. Add the 50 and 200 day EMAs and parabolic SAR for a visual cue. Use MACD and Stochastics for divergence and cross overs. Stock settings on Macd and 10,3, 3 on Stoch. You are looking for two kinds of signals. TCOs and Confirmations. TCOs are Trend change origins..aka bottoms or tops. Confirms are higher lows in an uptrend or lower highs in a downtrend. The signal either is or is not what it appears to be...let the market tell you. It will either turn out to be what it appears or it won't. If for example you have a potential bottom, with a nice distance to the 50 EMA (what I call a cushion)and the price action starts to roll over but fails and puts in a nice bullish engulfing candle then you may have a buy. If it rolls over and breaks the recent low and the next demand level is ten points down, then you may have a sell. The factors you want to study to make this determination are: Is price at Supply or Demand? Is there divergence on the oscillators? Has price recently broken the nearest EMA or Zone? Is there a cushion to nearest average or Zone? If it looks good then enter. The nature of the game is this: You will never know with absolute certainty if any given signal will or will not work...the best you can do is stack the odds heavily in your favor, cut any losses off immediately and let the market tell you when to get out. This maximizes profit potential and minimizes risk. I use one minute candles for pinpoint accuracy and they expose the most clues if you know what you are doing. Put in as much screen time as you can while following the above...given enough time...trading will actually become easy.
jchalmers3 is offline   Reply With Quote