Is it really possible to make money in this trading lark?

This is a discussion on Is it really possible to make money in this trading lark? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; has any one on here closed a spread bet postion for say 1 m ? I doubt it...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:47am   #113

7 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
has any one on here closed a spread bet postion for say 1 m ?

I doubt it
nice n smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:37am   #114
Joined Dec 2003
juanbyte, I know you say it's not recommended but how you can even state that 'if you risk 40% of your account on a trade you can make 400% in a day' is beyond me. And you sell a book or course don't you? So irresponsible.

And if I see people (especially new traders) risking 1% on a trade I'd pat them on the back and congratulate them on their intelligent approach to risk management, not call them wimps........
anley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 1:55pm   #115
Joined Mar 2003
I was just pointing out the maximum that could be gained via spreadbetting and see no problem in advising that it is not recommended, offering low 50:1 margins and you being undercapitalised is a sure way for the spreadbet firms to win and you to lose.

What is wrong with calculating mathematically the optimum amount to risk based on ones current performance, I can risk 79% without ruin but I do not, I will risk about 10% of my risk which means that I will make 8 times more than someone risking 1%.

There are many methods of trading and each will have a different risk value, I cannot see how one fits all.

How do you arrive at the 1% figure you keep quoting?

My book has nothing to do with this thread, all information was given free, I have just shown a simple method that yesterday produced over 200 points profit on the Dow with minimal downside. What is wrong with that, what can you show me that was as profitable?
Old Oct 21, 2004, 3:30pm   #116
Joined Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbyte
I will risk about 10% of my risk which means that I will make 8 times more than someone risking 1%.
It's always about winning and how much one can make with a lot of people and those are the ones that tend to lose overtime, in fact some would suggest that they never had a chance to begin with. Of course there are aways exceptions to the rule.

Want to stand a chance in this game? Forget about winning and how much you can make, instead focus on how much you're risking.

Without proper risk control (and fully understanding why it's so important) you might as well stoke your winter fires with £50 notes.
anley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:17pm   #117

Joined Jul 2004
Red face Re: Is it really possible to make money in this trading lark?

Like I said, I can show you 100 systems that look good like that in hindsight for one whole day. Does this mean they are worth anything? No.

Your so called "method" has been around forever, and ive already run tons of backtests on methods like that and they are not worth trading. I didnt look at 5 whole signals either, I looked at thousands of signals across many markets. I need objectively quantifiable numbers, not silly subjective squiggles someone throws on a chart and proclaims WA LAA! Behold!

But here is my favorite part:
Quote:
...sorry it is only hard if you make it difficult or have a cr@p system.
Gee, now this guy thinks I have a crap system? He thinks im making it difficult? Wow, more amazing mind reading powers. Just because I shoot down the obvious, doesnt say a thing about my systems. Got that? You have no idea how my systems perform, and they are certainly statistically siginificant, unlike the silly hindsight chart you threw up.

You claim divergence works on many different markets, but when someone points out your data is not statistically significant, not even remotely, you cry and tell them to do their own research?? Thank you for verifying you didnt actually provide anything useful at all

Chump? The only chumps around here are people ignorant enough to believe your "system" works because you threw up one chart. Ignorance is bliss I guess. People get mad when you point on the truth of the matter. A sign of a true neophyte trader.
longshot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:21pm   #118

Joined Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbyte
... I can risk 79% without ruin....
Anyone who believes they can risk 79% without an extremely extremely high probability of ruin doesn't know the first thing about trading. I know, im stating the obvious, but it seems some people dont event know the obvious. You might want to look into some risk of ruin formula's, and plug in your numbers before making more outrageous claims like this.
longshot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:26pm   #119
Joined Dec 2003
Longshot,
i have analysed your posts and all I can truly take from them in a verifiable manner is that you have absolutely confirmed that there is indeed an awful lot of BULL in Texas .....LOL...regards to George

Last edited by chump; Oct 21, 2004 at 5:33pm.
chump is offline   Reply With Quote