Charateristics of currency pairs

This is a discussion on Charateristics of currency pairs within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi everyone, im a beginner in FX trading I have some queries about the charateristics of the popular currency pairs, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:36am   #1

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Question Charateristics of currency pairs

Hi everyone, im a beginner in FX trading

I have some queries about the charateristics of the popular currency pairs, such as: GBP/USD, EUR/USD, EUR/GBP, USD/CHF, USD/JPY

I've read some posts on the internet saying there are specific charateristics with each of the pairs... can you guys help me out?

Many Thanks
Justin
Justin Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:56pm   #2
Joined Dec 2004
Re: Charateristics of currency pairs

We need a bit more to go on Justin. What specifically are you asking here?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:00pm   #3

Joined Apr 2010

GBP/USD is a right 2-faced pr1ck and EUR/USD can't keep secrets. Stay away from them.

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:17pm   #4

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2010

Justin Yeung started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody Trader View Post
We need a bit more to go on Justin. What specifically are you asking here?
Hi RT

Some people say there are specific charateristics with each majot pairs, and im wondering what charateristics do they mean? for example, do they have any correlation on each other, do they have high volume during specfic trading hours, do commodities have an affect on them,?

Well, economic indicators obviously would impact their movements but for example, the UK CPI and the US FOMC release today, how would it affect GBP/USD and which one can outweight another?

i have many question marks in my head..
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:20pm   #5

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2010

Justin Yeung started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by scose-no-doubt View Post
GBP/USD is a right 2-faced pr1ck and EUR/USD can't keep secrets. Stay away from them.
Are you suggesting to trade on other pairs like the USD/CHF or Yen, or EUR/GBP instead of those two majors? would it be safer for a beginner?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:39pm   #6

Joined Apr 2010

I've heard yen has got hella STI's the slut

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:51pm   #7
Joined Nov 2007

google terms like

"Mrs Watanabe" (impact of retail traders on the Yen, though this might have stopped a bit now due to legislation

"commodity currencies" (tendency of the currencies of large commodity exporters to follow commodity demand, e.g. AUD, CAD, some skandies)

"carry trade" (the borrowing of low yielding currencies to invest in high yielding currencies, e.g. borrow in JPY and invest in AUD)

"flight to quality" / "risk appetite"/ "risk on / risk off" (in times of trouble, investors move out of risky / emerging markets and into safe / developed markets, and this has a concomitant effect on the cross currency rates)

that should give you some ideas
MrGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:51pm   #8
Joined Dec 2003

Your questions are far too broad as everything can have an effect but then nothing can have an effect. Sometimes the markets shrug figures off as if they weren't released othertimes the release of a figure is the biggest thing since sliced bread.

As for hours, then use your head. Do that and you'll find that Sterling is far more active at 3pm London time rather than 3am.

As for characteristics then look at the charts, there you'll see the character in full but then it's normally always changing, hence there are no proper answers, only experience and you get that by studying the markets for 100s and then 1000s of hours.
anley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:05pm   #9
Joined Nov 2008

They have none, they're all vacuous bimbos just waiting to be treated badly and get shafted..it's what they deserve..be a shame not to oblige...
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote