SB on Stock Indices

This is a discussion on SB on Stock Indices within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; [QUOTE=stevet]using stops is very complex and unless you are very experienced you will lose money by placing stops intraday spikes ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:36am   #41
Joined Aug 2004
[QUOTE=stevet]using stops is very complex and unless you are very experienced you will lose money by placing stops

intraday spikes are just signs of short term illiquidity in the underlying[/QU

Yes, this is a problem for me as without a stop in place a bad trade seems too run out of control and by the time I have had a chance too close the trade i'm into a big loss!!
But like you say it's complicated (and i'm not that experienced!) not sure what the best risk managment policy is??
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:11am   #42
Joined Apr 2002
learners confuse the use of "stops" with "exiting" a trade - you exit at the point that the positive reasons that caused you to enter a trade - have either gone to neutral or negative - and this is the same wether the trade has gone your way or against you
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:58pm   #43
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet
learners confuse the use of "stops" with "exiting" a trade - you exit at the point that the positive reasons that caused you to enter a trade - have either gone to neutral or negative - and this is the same weather the trade has gone your way or against you
Stevet thanks for your insight but at what point do you get out of a bad trade i.e if you open a position (with no stop) but the market goes against you quickly do have a set percentage for losses? or do you just close a quickly as poss?
Would you consider on the flip side adding a fairly distant trailing stop on a position in profit?
Lots of questions!!! apologies.....
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:00am   #44
Joined Apr 2002
you get out of a bad trade by not entering it in the first place

and if you entered the trade for the right reason - you would not consider it a bad trade if you exit without profiting - since you would be used to doing that on an ongoing basis - but knew that the profit from the trades that worked out - easilly exceeded the losses from the ones that went wrong

so if you had a specific and correct reason for entering the trade - you would know exactly when to get out - be that at a loss or a profit

learn to enter correctly and forget about stops
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:25pm   #45
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet
you get out of a bad trade by not entering it in the first place

and if you entered the trade for the right reason - you would not consider it a bad trade if you exit without profiting - since you would be used to doing that on an ongoing basis - but knew that the profit from the trades that worked out - easilly exceeded the losses from the ones that went wrong

so if you had a specific and correct reason for entering the trade - you would know exactly when to get out - be that at a loss or a profit

learn to enter correctly and forget about stops
Good point! had not really looked at it like that, more homework, less guess work,more patience!!
Thanks again...
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:09am   #46
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidinuk
kensitp,

So basically a guaranteed stop will make you feel more comfortable in your trade and every now and again you'll be glad you had it but you'll pay very dearly on the 95/100 trades where you didn't really need it. Much like an extended warranty on an electrical item which only has a 5% chance of actually breaking down but for which you paid 25% of the price for.

Remember, trading is all about probabilities.
Financial Spreads charges 0ver 7 times the bet, or the equivalent of 7 points!

Split
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 5:08pm   #47
Joined Apr 2004
FTSE 100 trend as of 29 August

I'n new to Technical Analysis and keen to start swing trading the FTSE 100. I thought I'd use this board to outline my analysis and would welcome any feedback from those who are also taking a view on the FTSE for the purposes of short term trading (rather than intra-day trading). all comments welcome!

FTSE100 on upward trend.

Arguments for:
A double bottom that begin at the beginning of July has completed and a breakout occurred with a breach off 4430. A trend line up can be drawn from 16 Aug The 200 MDA has also been breached

Arguments against:
Volume associated with breakout appears low
Attached Thumbnails
ftse100-290804.gif  

Last edited by Second income trader; Aug 29, 2004 at 5:21pm.
Second income trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 5:35pm   #48

Joined May 2004
Hi Ken,
Just a thot...there is a FTSE 100 August 2004 thread, where I think u have posted b4....maybe the best location to receive comments on above
alliance is offline   Reply With Quote