Ethically okay?

This is a discussion on Ethically okay? within the Educational Resources forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by beany I look forward to ethical comments on what most folk feel about this - thanks you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:09pm   #9

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by beany View Post
I look forward to ethical comments on what most folk feel about this - thanks
you need to provide proof (verified trades) that the system works, if you cannot do it, it is not only unethical, but criminal...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:01pm   #10
Joined Nov 2006
beany started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
you need to provide proof (verified trades) that the system works, if you cannot do it, it is not only unethical, but criminal...
lol No I think you are over the top there Quantt. There is nothing criminal that I can see. This is really whether it's a reputation buster and and not so nice to do
beany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:13pm   #11

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
lol No I think you are over the top there Quantt. There is nothing criminal that I can see. This is really whether it's a reputation buster and and not so nice to do
if you are knowingly selling a faulty product and laying about the results of a system, it is called a scam and considered a criminal offense in my book, especially if your victims are the old, the poor, the needy, the vulnerable... and I am sure the authorities will be looking into it, usually they are slow (taking the time to collect the evidence, etc), it might take years, but sooner or later they'll come knocking...

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:47pm   #12
Joined Nov 2006
beany started this thread
Quote:
if you are knowingly selling a faulty product and laying about the results of a system
well this is the problem with trading education I guess. who is to say if it's faulty or not? No one HAS to prove anything as long as no false statements are made its not breaking any law. I'm finding more and more that what used to be called "education" is now being relabelled "entertainment" - sad but true.

I appreciate your sentiments though I am very surprised that more readers are not strongly against it. Certainly the hoodwinking is concerning to me.

I should say that I dont subscribe to having to backtest all that data either. Backtesting does not help with psychology - but then again I'm not a "quant" myself.
beany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06pm   #13

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
well this is the problem with trading education I guess. who is to say if it's faulty or not? No one HAS to prove anything as long as no false statements are made its not breaking any law. I'm finding more and more that what used to be called "education" is now being relabelled "entertainment" - sad but true.

I appreciate your sentiments though I am very surprised that more readers are not strongly against it. Certainly the hoodwinking is concerning to me.

I should say that I dont subscribe to having to backtest all that data either. Backtesting does not help with psychology - but then again I'm not a "quant" myself.
I am really glad we are on the same page about the trading education and personally I am yet to see a honest one...

For the back testing I guess we agree to disagree...personally I won't trade a system I have not back tested trough 2 market cycles at least and that is what helps me with the psychology side of trading ... e.g. I don't have second thoughts, etc, because I know the system works... cheers!

Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:39pm   #14
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:

I respect your intention here but ironically I suspect you can't verify your advice here.

A parallel might be if I sell a racing car but have never won a race. It will still go very fast and the right driver might be able to win with it. But its horses for courses: a trading system without verified trading record could be sold - but it should realistically be cheaper than one that's a proven winner.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:03pm   #15

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
I respect your intention here but ironically I suspect you can't verify your advice here.

A parallel might be if I sell a racing car but have never won a race. It will still go very fast and the right driver might be able to win with it. But its horses for courses: a trading system without verified trading record could be sold - but it should realistically be cheaper than one that's a proven winner.
Hi I am sorry, but you are missing my point, so let me use your example to illustrate more clearly:

You are selling a racing car and claiming it has 1000 horse power (but in reality it has only 10), so no matter who the driver is, it will always loose...

The problem with all those "cars" being peddled out there is that the people selling them did try to win the race multiple times and realized the horse power needed is not there, so they are looking for the next best thing: the next sucker to unload them...

Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:47pm   #16
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Hi I am sorry, but you are missing my point, so let me use your example to illustrate more clearly:

You are selling a racing car and claiming it has 1000 horse power (but in reality it has only 10), so no matter who the driver is, it will always loose...

The problem with all those "cars" being peddled out there is that the people selling them did try to win the race multiple times and realized the horse power needed is not there, so they are looking for the next best thing: the next sucker to unload them...

I think you're just slightly biased against people selling stuff to would-be traders. They're a fact of life, they don't do much harm but they don't do much good. They're not criminals: criminals would be a lot better at stealing people's money.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote