What Happens When You Try to Time the Market?

This is a discussion on What Happens When You Try to Time the Market? within the Educational Resources forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by sigmund1 Most traders lose money, some traders make money. Well, we can agree on that. Same goes ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:18pm   #25
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund1 View Post
Most traders lose money, some traders make money.

Well, we can agree on that.
Same goes for the restaurant business for example. And pubs in the UK are closing at the rate of 4 a week. (Good riddance.)

Makes private trading seem less risky maybe.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:02am   #26
Joined Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetrades View Post
Keep selling the dream, buddy
I agree with the Db this time.....How could you lose so much money without having a sound proof system?

You were gambling more than trading, hoping for the better.

Next time you try, trade small until you get a grasp of it (probably you will never as many as you said) and not before at least 6 months of proofs, treat your $100 like it is $100000.

If you cannot make money from 100 you certainly will not make it from 100000

Last edited by Fugazsy; Jan 23, 2017 at 12:08am.
Fugazsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:08am   #27
 
petetrades's Avatar
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazsy View Post
I agree with the Db this time.....How could you lose so much money without having a sound proof system?

You were gambling more than trading, hoping for the better.

Next time you try, trade small until you get a grasp of it (probably you will never as many as you said) and not before at least 6 months of proofs, treat your $100 like it is $100000.

If you cannot make money from 100 you certainly will not make it from 100000
No - I needed the income when I was trading to finance my financial goals, while I was working 40-60 hour weeks and dealing with that stress to finance this endeavour. Before you and dbphoenix judge me, let's see you put balls to the wall and see how you do instead of selling reheated non-copyrighted ideas to new traders. Let's see how long you last walking on hot coals. if I wanted to do this for supplementary income while profiteering off the backs off others I could have easily found a small edge, which is not what I was looking for, what my ethics permit, or what the popular literature or trading education culture suggests is the goal of day trading and timing the markets.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:29am   #28
Joined Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetrades View Post
No - I needed the income when I was trading to finance my financial goals, while I was working 40-60 hour weeks and dealing with that stress to finance this endeavour. Before you and dbphoenix judge me, let's see you put balls to the wall and see how you do instead of selling reheated non-copyrighted ideas to new traders. Let's see how long you last walking on hot coals. if I wanted to do this for supplementary income while profiteering off the backs off others I could have easily found a small edge, which is not what I was looking for, what my ethics permit, or what the popular literature or trading education culture suggests is the goal of day trading and timing the markets.
I am not selling anything. I an not judging you. I was just giving you a different perspective. Personally I never lost serious money even when I was learning due to sensible money management.

Words like "needed" "stress" "walking on hot coals" do not go hand in hand with retail trading. Market are fluid and you got rigid.

If you need the money and you have not got the appropriate knowledge in trading and in yourself to deal with the market I suggest you do not trade, robbing a bank in central London will give you a better chance...

Of course this is only my perception.

I wish you all the best.

Last edited by Fugazsy; Jan 23, 2017 at 8:36am.
Fugazsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: petetrades
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:05pm   #29
 
petetrades's Avatar
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazsy View Post
I am not selling anything. I an not judging you. I was just giving you a different perspective. Personally I never lost serious money even when I was learning due to sensible money management.

Words like "needed" "stress" "walking on hot coals" do not go hand in hand with retail trading. Market are fluid and you got rigid.

If you need the money and you have not got the appropriate knowledge in trading and in yourself to deal with the market I suggest you do not trade, robbing a bank in central London will give you a better chance...

Of course this is only my perception.

I wish you all the best.
How could I be gambling and hoping if commissions and fees made up half my losses in several of my losing years? The fact is, retail trading is not a stable source of income, you and I have both now presented evidence confirming this fact. If dbphoenix can offer up some overdue P&L statements then maybe there will be an iota of evidence to the contrary.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:56pm   #30
 
petetrades's Avatar
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charts View Post
As far as I can see, this article refers to "average" traders/investors and there is no further breakdown.
To demonstrate that the average is poor in relation to indices is fairly meaningless as there are plenty of us who do rather better than the "average". To put it another way, those who have developed and learnt enough to trade for a living, by a self-selecting process of consistent success, are rather better than indices and funds, the returns on which are laughable. Maybe ok for very long term investing if you are sufficiently diversified, but still the returns are poor in comparison.
It's a bit like those academics who believe in EMH and can "prove" it. Skills, knowledge and experience shatter the academic theories in the real world.
Ok, post your P&L brokerage statement(s) from 2016, you can use an image editor to obscure the last 2-6 digits of your account number, thanks in advance.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:59pm   #31
 
petetrades's Avatar
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
This is more likely the source of your problem than vendors.

You are responsible for your failures, no one else.

Grow up.
How have I not grown up? How am I entirely responsible for my own failures, the crux of many of your political posts suggests society has a major influence in influencing human cultural interaction/behavior. What specifically is the source of my problem in my inappropriated quoted post? What have you done with your own personal trading account, since 1998 daytrading, which I have not and what has lead you to consistent profitability? Or are you not a consistently profitable day trader? Thank you in advance.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:18pm   #32
 
dbphoenix's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetrades View Post
How have I not grown up? How am I entirely responsible for my own failures, the crux of many of your political posts suggests society has a major influence in influencing human cultural interaction/behavior. What specifically is the source of my problem in my inappropriated quoted post? What have you done with your own personal trading account, since 1998 daytrading, which I have not and what has lead you to consistent profitability? Or are you not a consistently profitable day trader? Thank you in advance.
Refer to the post of yours which I quoted.

Even though you've been trading for more than five years, you still don't understand how to manage leverage, you have no idea how to manage risk, you "hope", you don't understand what "confirmation" is all about given that you have no thoroughly-tested and consistently-profitable trading plan and thus no edge, and, in part for the same reason, you don't use stops.

These choices are your own. No one forced you to make them. Therefore they and their consequences are your responsibility. It is also your responsibility to make better choices. If you don't, you will go broke. This does not signal mature behavior.

You're welcome.
dbphoenix is online now Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)