Help finding a stock trading mentor

This is a discussion on Help finding a stock trading mentor within the Educational Resources forums, part of the Commercial category; Hello, My name is Bryan and I'm looking for a stock trading mentor to mentor me. I'm specifically interested in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:31am   #1

2 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Help finding a stock trading mentor

Hello,

My name is Bryan and I'm looking for a stock trading mentor to mentor me. I'm specifically interested in short term/day trading stocks. I'm in the Denver Colorado area. If you know someone or are the person that would be willing to mentor me in this can you please provide me with contact information so I can get in touch with them. I've already started accumulating information on this subject so you wont be starting from zero per-say; I just feel like a mentor can make the difference in a big way when navigating the trading waters in the beginning. Thanks everyone for your help and time in this!
BPTrader15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:25pm   #2
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTrader15 View Post
Hello,

My name is Bryan and I'm looking for a stock trading mentor to mentor me. I'm specifically interested in short term/day trading stocks. I'm in the Denver Colorado area. If you know someone or are the person that would be willing to mentor me in this can you please provide me with contact information so I can get in touch with them. I've already started accumulating information on this subject so you wont be starting from zero per-say; I just feel like a mentor can make the difference in a big way when navigating the trading waters in the beginning. Thanks everyone for your help and time in this!
It's great that you want to get involved a mentor!

You should check out this thread

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/new-...ng-course.html

You should also have a think about whether you need a mentor who specializes in daytrading stocks, or whether you could actually gain a lot from a general trading coach to begin with.

Until one becomes quite specialized, a general trading coach can be very helpful. Incidentally a trading coach can help you find the type of trading style and markets that you might be bested suited for given your experience, risk profile, time availability, personality.

I can highly recommend starting out with chatwithtraders interviews - they are 90 of them and they are all free. They should provide you with a lot of guidance and direction.

And for a honest look into trading, check out my T2W member profile (published Dec2015)
options-george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:37pm   #3

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Hello,

I agree with George about seeking out a general trading coach, if you seek out anyone at all. Daytrading stocks is tough, and if you have enough money to avoid the PDT, you should at least look at index futures, such as the ES or NQ (I trade the NQ). Futures don't gap as severely as stocks often do as they trade continuously from Sunday evening to Friday evening.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:39pm   #4

Joined May 2011
Quote:
Hello,

Mentor yourself man !
tokyojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:57am   #5
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyojoe View Post
Mentor yourself man !

I try to do this but have found it really helpful to have mentor(s) along the way - well so far, I have only really had two. But both have been very helpful.

Though if one can't find one, then mentoring yourself is definitely better than waiting for one to show up!

What do you think, tokyojoe?

And for a honest look into trading, check out my T2W member profile (published Dec2015)
options-george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:08pm   #6

Joined May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by options-george View Post

I try to do this but have found it really helpful to have mentor(s) along the way - well so far, I have only really had two. But both have been very helpful.

Though if one can't find one, then mentoring yourself is definitely better than waiting for one to show up!

What do you think, tokyojoe?
Hello Options George, I have a lot of respect you since you posted your member profile, I still think it's one of the best profile reads.

My take on mentors : a mentor will show you what they know, they will not show you who you are inside your own mind.

Any numpty can learn the technical's, so if someone is looking for someone to show them this, well, then they should not tackle the markets, full stop.

If someone is looking for someone to mentor them in their mind set, then they should not tackle the markets, full stop.
Thanks! The following members like this post: options-george
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:46pm   #7

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyojoe View Post

My take on mentors : a mentor will show you what they know, they will not show you who you are inside your own mind.
That's the chief difference between a mentor and a coach: at its most basic, a mentor will show you his way; a coach will help you find your own way. If the beginner elects the first, he'd be wise to ask for tax returns. Without some evidence that the mentor is a successful trader, the student could waste a lot of years and a lot of money, which is the most common course for beginners.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:56pm   #8

Joined May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
That's the chief difference between a mentor and a coach: at its most basic, a mentor will show you his way; a coach will help you find your own way. If the beginner elects the first, he'd be wise to ask for tax returns. Without some evidence that the mentor is a successful trader, the student could waste a lot of years and a lot of money, which is the most common course for beginners.
Coach, mentor, teacher, instructor, snake oil salesman, decent well intention nice guy, etc if you add these (& a whole raft of other names) to my post, it still won't make a jot of difference to my point.