Art of War - Can it be Applied to Trading?

This is a discussion on Art of War - Can it be Applied to Trading? within the Educational Resources forums, part of the Commercial category; We've just published a new T2W article called " Art of War - Can it be Applied to Trading? " ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:00pm   #1
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Dec 2004
Art of War - Can it be Applied to Trading?

We've just published a new T2W article called "Art of War - Can it be Applied to Trading?" by Ted Kwek.

Quick Summary: Ted Kwek explores how "Sun Tzu and the Art of War" can be applicable to trading

PS. Don't forget to rate the article after you've read it and share your comments on this thread.
T2W Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:45pm   #2

Joined Jun 2005
Re: Art of War - Can it be Applied to Trading?

Lots of common sense in this article. As an ex military person I've long applied these principles succesfully - treat your trade as a combat mission and you'll do ok. Forget the Top Gun & other military crap you see on the media - it's the quality of planning, execution and debriefing that makes the money.
0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:33am   #3

Joined Aug 2004
Victory comes to him with the biggest weapon

Second sentence "From my experience, a trading methodology or system is only one of the ingredients of success". Yes but you are not a succesful trader otherwise you wouldn't be penning all this stuff and would be trading, therefore this sentence is fantasy based on acquired read 'knowledge' and the rest of the article can be discounted. It's only junk quoted from someone else's writing anyway.
nunrgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:57am   #4
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
sorry - T.A.O.W. is a very overused concept to sell books

sorry guys ..............Poor Sun Tzu would turn in his grave if he saw how widesprwead his ideas are now used by consultants and experts selling their businesses

that reminds me - I must finalise my latest book

"Sun Tzu and the Art of Cooking - 100 Recipes for a busy mom with an army to feed"

NVP
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: the hare , nunrgguy , Liquid validity , montmorencyt2w
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:01am   #5

Joined Jun 2005
Re: Victory comes to him with the biggest weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunrgguy View Post
It's only junk quoted from someone else's writing anyway.
That tends to be the case with so much stuff doesn't it? And of course that's how so many urban myths come into being. Although I do believe there is good stuff in the article (and that's only because in my particular case it resonates with the way I work) there is a limit to what all these "self-help" writings can do for you as a trader. I don't believe there is any substitute for getting out there and doing your own research the hard way and finding out what, if anything, works for you to make you a successful trader.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:08am   #6
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

agreed 0007.........Sun Tzu's book is a master piece ....but in the right place for the right purposes
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:26am   #7
Joined May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
agreed 0007.........Sun Tzu's book is a master piece ....but in the right place for the right purposes
The Taliban must be using it
as they seem to kicking US ass with very little firepower, as did the vietnamese and the north Koreans
justtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:59am   #8

Joined Jun 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtrader View Post
The Taliban must be using it
as they seem to kicking US ass with very little firepower, as did the vietnamese and the north Koreans
Dealing with guerilla tactics is one of the world's most difficult military problems. Was it not the British in Malaya in the 1950s that has been one of the few (possibly only) successful example?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:12pm   #9

Joined Apr 2010

I reckon maybe trade2win should focus more on getting content regards The Art of Finance and maybe The Art of Financial Mathematics or even The Art of Economics. I've heard that this stuff is used successfully in some circles.

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: nunrgguy
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:20am   #10

2 Posts
Joined Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0007 View Post
Dealing with guerilla tactics is one of the world's most difficult military problems. Was it not the British in Malaya in the 1950s that has been one of the few (possibly only) successful example?
They did it by slaughtering anyone and everyone who looked like a guerrilla; men, women, children, civilians. (The official version was that they were "relocated" but that's much like Jews being relocated by the Germans.) Even then, the Malayan communist movement wasn't extinguished until 1989.

There are actually plenty of examples of guerrilla forces which have been defeated. The key, however, rests more with the quality of the guerrilla movement than their opposing force. If guerrillas don't have the support of the indigenous population, they don't have a guaranteed line of supply and an accessible sanctuary, they will never succeed. If they have these 3 things, they cannot be defeated; no matter what.

There's a very good wikipedia article on guerrilla warfare here Guerrilla warfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
meyouus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:23am   #11

1 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Lateral thinking applications

Interesting, but a more condensed summary/conclusion could be more so. Congratulations, TeaPoJap
TeaPoJap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:30am   #12

Joined Mar 2004

Quote:
The Yanks were too arogant to learn from others and have paid the price over and over.
It's all happened before more or less. If the US administrations had 1 learned historian onboard they would not have made all the classic mistakes of empire. Bush didn't even know where Afghanistan was on the map. An historian could have told the chump it's where mighty empires have perished.

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:42am   #13

Joined Jun 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
The Yanks were too arogant to learn from others and have paid the price over and over.
It's all happened before more or less. If the US administrations had 1 learned historian onboard they would not have made all the classic mistakes of empire. Bush didn't even know where Afghanistan was on the map. An historian could have told the chump it's where mighty empires have perished.
yes, it's amazing isn't it! We (UK) first learned about Afghanistan in the 19th century: but never mind -- we will stay there until the end of 2014 because our politicians know it's the right thing to do
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:21pm   #14

Joined Mar 2004

Quote:
yes, it's amazing isn't it! We (UK) first learned about Afghanistan in the 19th century: but never mind -- we will stay there until the end of 2014 because our politicians know it's the right thing to do
:lol

for quality of life.

grotty new estates
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:26pm   #15

Joined Mar 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by scose-no-doubt View Post
I reckon maybe trade2win should focus more on getting content regards The Art of Finance and maybe The Art of Financial Mathematics or even The Art of Economics. I've heard that this stuff is used successfully in some circles.
Apparently it is too difficult for mathematicians to do ! So we are stuck with the 'O' level maths of Macd etc.

for quality of life.

grotty new estates