Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America?

This is a discussion on Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America? within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; My son sent me this link. Of particular interest to those of a historical leaning: Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 21, 2009, 8:32pm   #1

Joined May 2008
Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America?

My son sent me this link. Of particular interest to those of a historical leaning:

Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America? :: The Market Oracle :: Financial Markets Analysis & Forecasting Free Website
montmorencyt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 10:11am   #2
Joined Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorencyt2w View Post
Well this is why gold is held up so highly right now.... I don't rule the possibility out - yet I have only 2% of my assets in gold, 98% is in cash, I don't even own property despite having enough cash to pay for one - it's a troubling prospect
George Soreass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:28pm   #3
Joined Nov 2008
the saying right now is that we are going towards it.

one of the best investors and economists marc faber is talking about zimbabwe style hyperinflation coming.
while other great economists who have had the pridictions bang on like jim rogers and peter schiff allready warned about hyperinflation few years ago.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:26pm   #4

Joined Feb 2009
Anything is possible, including Weimar Republic hyperinflation...
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:34pm   #5
Joined Nov 2008
hyperinflation right now is inevitable due to huge devaluation of the currencies in last few years and the big crash is yet to come, but only time will tell if its weimar type, zimbabwe type, or even worse but one thing is for sure, things are looking terrible ahead we may go through one of the worst times ever in the next few years.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:27pm   #6
Joined Dec 2008
I don't believe there will be hyperinflation at all. I think there is a possibilty that inflation will overshoot central bank targets slightly, but no way will you see 'hyperinflation'. One thing you need to remember is that 75% of GDP is from consumer spending, which is subdued as unemployment is so high. You also have to consider that the british/american public are likely to have learnt a lesson from this crisis, and that lesson is the control of spending. To save money and to spend more cautiously. I think this will be a lesson that will stay with consumers for at least the next 3-5yrs. Hence, keeping inflation under control. It will be a similar time frame before wage inflation starts creaping up.
Then you come to the point of quantitative easing. Central banks have pumped money into the banking sector, however, there has not been a significant increasing in lending to the public. Even more so, people are reluctant to borrow money from the bank. So the money stays in the banks capital reserves. Not actually reaching consumers, but when it does, it will slowly seap into the system, keeping inflation under control.
tripleogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:29pm   #7
Joined Dec 2008
I think the biggest issue will not be hyperinflation but the budget deficit of the british and american government. That will also be a drag on inflation as governments' realise that they have to cut public spending to reduce their deficit.
tripleogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:09pm   #8

Joined Oct 2008
no no and no again

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:54pm   #9

Joined Jan 2007
Of course it could. Why couldn't it?
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:56pm   #10

Joined Oct 2008
coz i said so

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote