Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America?

This is a discussion on Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America? within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Genics old boy if fiat money collapses that is the ultimate inflation......

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:28pm   #22

Joined Jan 2007
Genics old boy if fiat money collapses that is the ultimate inflation...
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:31pm   #23
Joined Oct 2008
I think a better and more recent example would be Argentina who increased deficit spending in response to a recession. Falling taxes, bank failures and printing money leading to a loss of confidence in its currency as the country struggled to meet debt payments.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:32pm   #24

Joined Oct 2008
America aint Argentina is it though. Argentina debt was in foreign currency which as most people know is economic suicide.

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader

Last edited by N Rothschild; Jul 13, 2009 at 3:39pm.
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:33pm   #25

Joined Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
Genics old boy if fiat money collapses that is the ultimate inflation...
how? if fiat money ceased to exist inflation wouldn't really be possible on the same scale as it is now..countrys would be forced to live with in their means

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:41pm   #26
Joined Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genics View Post
America aint Argentina is it though
The only difference is perception. Paper money is a reflection of the value of a nation and its productivity. The US has massive debts and is expected to keep borrowing trillions for years to come.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:44pm   #27

Joined Oct 2008
see me edit to the post. also Weimar Germany's debt was issued in foreign currency. using either as a comparison to the current situation is null and void.

"See, if your currency declines when you have issued debt in a foreign currency then the principal value of that loan has just gone up. This in turn causes your credit rating to decline (your debt-to-income goes up) which in turn forces your currency lower, which makes the principal value go up again, which....." KD

Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:52pm   #28

Joined Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genics View Post
how? if fiat money ceased to exist inflation wouldn't really be possible on the same scale as it is now..countrys would be forced to live with in their means
inflation of the fiat currency would be infinity% as it would become worthless, dig?

Of course they could tie it to some commodity, but how would they back that up?
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote