Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America?

This is a discussion on Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America? within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; devastating deep deflationary death dance due....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:50pm   #15

Joined Apr 2009
devastating deep deflationary death dance due.
squall321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: N Rothschild
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:00pm   #16
Joined Oct 2008
I believe that hyperinflation is a near certainty in the UK and USA. Massive trade and budget deficits and falling tax revenues make it very difficult to pay debts back with anything but devalued currency. Both countries have been purchasing their own govt bonds to keep interest rates artificially low and create a market for the debt. In other words electronically printing money. This is Zimbabwe style economics. The debt to gdp figures that are used disguise the fact that the economic activity is being created not by useful productivity, but by borrowing and printing more money used to bail out bankrupt institutions and companies. Deflation will be a short term symptom of this crisis, followed by currency collapse and runaway inflation.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:01pm   #17

Joined Jan 2007
fwiw poborsky, I agree

I also think that it will be extraordinarily quick and catch us all off guard.
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:03pm   #18

Joined Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by poborsky View Post
I believe that hyperinflation is a near certainty in the UK and USA. Massive trade and budget deficits and falling tax revenues make it very difficult to pay debts back with anything but devalued currency. Both countries have been purchasing their own govt bonds to keep interest rates artificially low and create a market for the debt. In other words electronically printing money. This is Zimbabwe style economics. The debt to gdp figures that are used disguise the fact that the economic activity is being created not by useful productivity, but by borrowing and printing more money used to bail out bankrupt institutions and companies. Deflation will be a short term symptom of this crisis, followed by currency collapse and runaway inflation.
i think some of you underestimate the era of inflation and credit creation that has come to an end..the fed buying government notes is just a small aprt of money creation..

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:06pm   #19

Joined Oct 2008
for one, if such mega hyper world destorying inflation is coming, why is gold not even trading above last years highs?

imo the entire fiat monetary system is slowly failing..

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:08pm   #20

Joined Apr 2009
why do gold dealers advertize on the all conspiracy radio shows/websites

if they were so sure hyperinflation was coming it makes no sense to swap their gold, for joe tinfoilhat's worthless paper money

instead of making 20-30% on each ounce (whatever their profit margin is, i don't know) which will be destroyed by the h.i anyway
they could just sit on all their gold and make a 200-300% or MORE return when the hyperinflation comes

the dealers couldn't be swindling joe public could they :O
squall321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:13pm   #21

Joined Oct 2008
last 10 years has been mega inflationary, to the point governments hid the true figures..without the continuation of the credit bubble how are prices gona go hyper inflationary? the govt printing a tril or 2 is nothing compared to the credit that has been created in the last decade

Thanks! The following members like this post: Technically Fundamental , counter_violent