Effects of Quantitive Easing on......

This is a discussion on Effects of Quantitive Easing on...... within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; ........corporarte bonds. Any idea? I understand that if the government goes down this route it effectively "transfers assetts" by "buying ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:17pm   #1

Joined Aug 2004
Effects of Quantitive Easing on......

........corporarte bonds.

Any idea?

I understand that if the government goes down this route it effectively "transfers assetts" by "buying up debt".

Does anyone have any insight, or know where to look, for information on how QE would effect corporate bond prices? My take in that it would be positive for bond prices, am I correct?

Cheers,
UTB
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:31pm   #2

Joined Sep 2005
Not necessarily. The main impact from a fixed income perspective is on government treasuries, but corp bond prices could fall (ie yields rise) if the fear is that QE unleashes inflation.
Jack o'Clubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:02pm   #3

Joined Aug 2004
the blades started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack o'Clubs View Post
Not necessarily. The main impact from a fixed income perspective is on government treasuries, but corp bond prices could fall (ie yields rise) if the fear is that QE unleashes inflation.
thanks for that JOC.

Wouldn't that have the effect of pushing down yields on government bonds still further? There's now a huge gap between government and corporate yields, no doubt reflecting the default risk. At some point, and if the effect of any stimulus is to brighten the outlook for UK PLC, can't we expect the default risk to fall (and prices rise) in advance of any threat of inflation?

I hope the above doesn't make it sound like I know what I'm talking about, because I don't

UTB
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:09pm   #4

Joined Sep 2005
Difficult to say as its hard to disaggregate what the prices are currently discounting - I don't think anyone knows to be honest. On government debt, a lot will depend on whether the US starts buying treasuries as they've hinted they might. I do think corporate bonds are very cheap at the moment - I've been buying some through bond funds.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:04pm   #5

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
I do think corporate bonds are very cheap at the moment - I've been buying some through bond funds.
me too. Which ones, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm building up holdings in;

Fidelity Moneybuilder
Invesco corporate bond
M&G Optimal income
Investec Sterling Bond
Templeton strategic bond
Baring directional global bond

UTB
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:33pm   #6

Joined Sep 2005
Your Invesco one, plus Aegon Investment Grade Bond and Baillie Gifford Investment Grade Bond
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:36pm   #7

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Your Invesco one, plus Aegon Investment Grade Bond and Baillie Gifford Investment Grade Bond
LOL -I'm also holding the Aegon fund, and I forgot!

Another question - do you know if any of your funds hedge against currency movements? It seems most of the funds have a max of around 65% UK exposure. Do they hedge the foreign stuff? (not talking about the strategic stuff where they're trying to profit from currency movements)

UTB

Last edited by the blades; Feb 11, 2009 at 6:42pm.
the blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:13pm   #8

Joined Sep 2005
The Aegon fund 'hedges back to sterling a minimum 80% of the fund', so I guess that gives them flexibility to take a small currency bet if they wish to.

The Baillie Gifford fund is sterling only, and Invesco hedge out all forex exposure.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:15pm   #9
Joined Nov 2008
1st question is government doing this for profit or the opposite?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:20pm   #10

Joined May 2008
Quantitative easing

I have run across a book "Credit Crunch" by Graham Turner (2007).
He worked in Japanese banking industry for abut 20 years. Japanese quantitative easing started in late 1990s, with the effects described in the book.
Can`t remeber the impact on corp bonds prices or yield, but i suggest to take an insight into Japanese bond prices indexes after japanese gov intervened.

best regards