Can the US spend its way to avert recession?

This is a discussion on Can the US spend its way to avert recession? within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; and really are they doing it because there is no alternative, or the risk of the alternative is too awful ...

View Poll Results: Can the US spend its way to avert recession?
yes 3 50.00%
no 3 50.00%
not sure/other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:37pm   #1

Joined Mar 2005
Can the US spend its way to avert recession?

and really are they doing it because there is no alternative, or the risk of the alternative is too awful to bear?
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:46pm   #2

Joined Aug 2005
The assumption is that the US is about to go into recession. This is not where the US is in the economic cycle right now - in fact quite the reverse. Therefore I do not understand this thread perhaps you could expand a little as to why you ask the question.
regards
BB
bundbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:30pm   #3

Joined Sep 2003
Yes, the same way a drunk keeps drinking to avoid a hangover.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:20pm   #4

Joined Mar 2005
Dispassionate started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundbaby
The assumption is that the US is about to go into recession. This is not where the US is in the economic cycle right now - in fact quite the reverse. Therefore I do not understand this thread perhaps you could expand a little as to why you ask the question.
regards
BB
My perception is that at some point soon the US is in danger of heading for a slump/slowdown/recession. That's because I'm focusing on the deficits and rising interest rates.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:28am   #5

Joined Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispassionate
My perception is that at some point soon the US is in danger of heading for a slump/slowdown/recession. That's because I'm focusing on the deficits and rising interest rates.
Thats a fact!
And interest rates can be adjusted.
But those those deficits - boy thats will sure prolong and deepen any recession (once it hits)
bundbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:41pm   #6

Joined Mar 2005
Dispassionate started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundbaby
Thats a fact!
And interest rates can be adjusted.
But those those deficits - boy thats will sure prolong and deepen any recession (once it hits)
That's why I'm asking if the US can spend its way out. Deficits are a duality.