News - Do they fit stories to the markets?

This is a discussion on News - Do they fit stories to the markets? within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Ok so recently most major indices that I watch have reached critical areas of S/R. Now throughout there has been ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:48pm   #1

Joined Apr 2012
News - Do they fit stories to the markets?

Ok so recently most major indices that I watch have reached critical areas of S/R. Now throughout there has been the usual volatility as buyers and sellers battle it out. Yet i constantly see news stories about growth etc attached to the movements.

E.G. Today stocks have rallied to retest Resistance on the Dax, bloomberg put this down to 'EU growth prospects looking positive'.

In general are these accurate, OR, is this just the market doing its thing and the boys n gals at bloomberg find they have to almost justify these movements with a reason.

Muchos Gracias amigos

SBS
SlowlyButSurely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:17pm   #2
Joined Sep 2008
Re: News - Do they fit stories to the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
E.G. Today stocks have rallied to retest Resistance on the Dax, bloomberg put this down to 'EU growth prospects looking positive'.

In general are these accurate, OR, is this just the market doing its thing and the boys n gals at bloomberg find they have to almost justify these movements with a reason.
SBS
That's it exactly. NEVER NEVER NEVER listen to bloomberg, cnbc, fox news, or whatever and try to base a trade on what they are saying. They are paid to find a reason why something happened. Doesn't even have to be right as long as it fits the current market mentality.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: SlowlyButSurely
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:29pm   #3

Joined Apr 2012

SlowlyButSurely started this thread Cheers for confirming that Pete, being a bit fresh in the game I wasn't sure but have started to notice it a lot recently. That helps massively!
SlowlyButSurely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:50pm   #4
Joined Sep 2012

Stop watching Reuters and Bloomberg and start monitoring al jazeera and RT xD.
LiboNZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:26pm   #5
Joined Jun 2011

If they knew the reason for things happening in the markets, they wouldn't be in the news business. They would be 'trading' the markets. There are two reasons for news stories. 1. Use whatever the current economic/political/whatever theme as an explanation for what happened. 2. Run manipulative stories put out by insiders whenever they want to ramp something up or damp something down.
BeginnerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:23am   #6

Joined Feb 2009

If you tell someone that it wasn't the news that moved the price, they can often get quite angry with you. Even if you show them the many times price moved in completely the opposite direction as should be expected by the news, they'll still not accept it.

We need these news services with their explanations to keep people happy.
Shakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: wackypete2
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:10pm   #7

Joined May 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakone View Post
If you tell someone that it wasn't the news that moved the price, they can often get quite angry with you. Even if you show them the many times price moved in completely the opposite direction as should be expected by the news, they'll still not accept it.

We need these news services with their explanations to keep people happy.
mmm, I think that news is often the trigger for a significant move, albeit not necessarily in the direction expected from the news.

If someone (fund) is wanting to unload a big parcel of shares, then the eager buyers responding to good news gives them a lovely chance to start the process without killing the price too quickly. Continuing the unload beyond the capacity of the eager beavers to pick them up and the price starts falling at an accelerating pace as the eager beavers start running scared.

Alternatively, if that someone (fund) is building a position in the share then the influx of eager beavers adds considerably to the demand with the obvious consequences.

So, you could argue that news does move prices, but it doesn't normally tell you which way . After the event, as Wacky says, the newsroom will dredge up some reason why price moved as it did.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Shakone
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:35pm   #8

Joined Apr 2012

SlowlyButSurely started this thread Thanks for the responses guys, hopefully this has cleared up the question for a few others learning the ropes too.

I might add that I know scheduled announcements can and do impact prices (FOMC recently, ECB and BoE statements etc) but i put that in to a seperate category than the 'news' i was referring to in the original post