What's missing

This is a discussion on What's missing within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by Albert Carey Look at prices at supermarkets. Best indicator. Ring the girls in the phone box ads, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:17pm   #11

Joined May 2009
Re: What's missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Carey View Post
Look at prices at supermarkets. Best indicator.
Ring the girls in the phone box ads, even better. :whist ling
Bint_Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:30pm   #12

Joined Apr 2010

scose-no-doubt started this thread contribute or gtfo zombie thread rapist

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:37pm   #13

Joined May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by scose-no-doubt View Post
contribute or gtfo zombie thread rapist
OK long term strategy. Ring the girls in the phone boxes, ask them their prices. Consider the people who use these services, people with money to burn.
Consider the reduction in the number of people with money to burn.
Consider this as a dry up of demand. Thus an increase in supply.
Supply overcomes demand therefore prices drop.

Ring the girls in the phone boxes and see what their prices are now.

:coo l:
Bint_Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:21pm   #14
Joined Aug 2011

okay I cant help unless you post the significance (t stats or F values) of your independent variables.

i understand if you feel protective over your model but i can guarantee its been done probably 100 times before

Im a part time econometrician if i can be of any use?
jamezz34 is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:27pm   #15

Joined Apr 2010

scose-no-doubt started this thread I don't feel protective at all. I deleted it cos it was giving me a headache but I remember it was based on a commodity basket, DXY, short to med term rates spreads and something else which I can't put my finger on now. It was very simple and comprised what I believed to be the fundamental economic driving forces so nothing ground-breaking. I did however find the dot-com divergence interesting in that it proved (to my layman's eye) that the activity was unhinged from fundamental economic reality - if you use the model's relative accuracy throughout the rest of the sample sans the missing shift factor post 08 - and was driven by something unknown. I think I need to encompass analysis of capital flows into it somewhere and possibly a weighted index of forecast expectation, maybe Fed Philly and the Global equivalents.

Anyway if I ever get around to making another one I'll hit ya up. I wish there were more people on here that find this kind of thing interesting and/or worth the bother

Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:41pm   #16

Joined Feb 2012

use think the answer is more analysis, if only I could understand a bit more about the market I could make it. you are clearly an intelligent chap (significantly above av anyway). the real issue (for you) is not understanding the market. the market is a whore and it is out to **** as many people as it can. find a quantifiable edge, test it and trade it.. anything else you are just punting, win lose or draw you are not moving forward. and dont listen to this advice whatever you do
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:47pm   #17

Joined Apr 2010

scose-no-doubt started this thread This exercise will one day have applications for portfolio risk management... trading-wise I'm starting to get an idea of what I'm after

Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:12pm   #18

Joined Sep 2005

Hats off for what you're trying to do, but this looks like a lagging not leading indicator (it makes a right rickets of the peak turn in 2007). There are loads of (quite sophisticated) quant models that basically try and do the same. Only today I was reading the latest version of BAML's 'Global Wave'. That uses seven inputs, industrial and consumer confidence, capacity utilisation, unemployment, producer prices, credit spreads and global earnings revisions. It has something like an 86pc success ratio which isn't bad.
Jack o'Clubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:02am   #19

Joined Apr 2010

scose-no-doubt started this thread I think it was GammaJammer that gave me the little nugget advice that went along the lines of the only way you can get better at building models is to build models. Yes this one is lagging* atm but it's all baby steps as I'm just trying to build a working understanding and a prediction model is not what I'm trying to get out. This one was rather a reverse engineering exercise attempting to pinpoint fundamental drivers at any given time.
I'll be working on new models using forecasting inputs one day when I have the time to manually iterate all the data I need as I just can't afford any serious data subscriptions and when I have the time to attempt to build more models. I have so much going on that it's just not in my list of priorities at the moment. I'll be having a look at that BAML stuff too btw

*in a sense it is but if it was really lagging it would x shift

Last edited by scose-no-doubt; Jun 20, 2012 at 1:28am.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:27am   #20

Joined Apr 2010

scose-no-doubt started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateDigestive View Post
the market is a whore and it is out to **** as many people as it can
You see here's the thing... I don't think it is. I think she's a beautiful ballet dancer who you need to feel up. Don't watch the dance and forms properly and you get hit with a spinning foot.